cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about fixed-price jobs

Highlighted
Alfonz M Member Since: Jun 4, 2012
1 of 4
Hi, I'm new to oDesk and I have a couple questions. I just applied for a job and we're done with the interview. The client said he will hire me for the task (and even offered for more work later) and gave me the requirements document, but he hasn't actually awarded me the contract on oDesk. I don't really see any red flags from the client though: his payment method is verified and he has already spent a lot on other jobs. 1.) Should I insist on the contract right away before I send him the first version of the work? I understand that oDesk doesn't guarantee payment for fixed-price jobs. So what do I get if we set up the contract before I start the work v.s. set the contract in the middle or after the job? What do I benefit from the contract in case the client doesn't pay? 2.) When do I get to leave feedback on a client? Can I leave feedback if there's a contract but the client doesn't pay? 3.) How does upfront payment work? Does the client automatically get charged for the upfront payment I placed on my application once he awards me the job/contract? Thanks!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 4
1. Always insist on the contract being started. I don't care if they have 2,000-5 star reviews, get the contract. Fixed price contracts are not guaranteed so if he doesn't pay, oDesk will contact him for you, but that is about as far as they will go. 2. You will leave feedback for the client after the contract is completed and closed. No contract, no feedback. You can only leave feedback if money was exchanged. 3. When the client starts a contract if you have placed a upfront payment on your proposal, it will be charged right then. Granted the client can change the upfront to nil when he sends the offer. Be sure to read the offer carefully to make sure your upfront percentage is still on there before you accept it. Long story short. Protect yourself. If you don't have a contract, don't do the work. If the client is serious about the project and isn't out to scam you, he/she won't have any problem with an upfront. (Also be aware the new milestone/escrow--not sure if it is actually escrow--is being implemented on some fixed price contracts. If this is the case you won't be able to ask for an upfront.)
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Alfonz M Member Since: Jun 4, 2012
3 of 4
Thanks! That clears things up for me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 4
And good luck
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS