cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about low offers

Highlighted
Robert J Member Since: Sep 28, 2015
11 of 31

It's not just the writing jobs either that are low balled.  I do 2D drafting & 3D modeling and everyone wants stuff done for Walmart prices.  I don't even bother with the filters because there'd be no jobs to look at.  

Is it me or is this site turning into Fiverr where everything is $5?!   So sick and tired of seeing job posts that require many hours of work for a budget of $25-50.  That might be no problem for a country like Pakistan, but as an American I can make more money as a cashier.....

My biggest issue with these ** budgets:  most of them come from Americans or American companies!  No it's cool, we fellow Americans don't need the work.  Forget the idea of growing our economy back and keeping money in the country. **edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 31

About $5.00 offers...

I would just be cautious about always assuming these are low-ball clients. Sometimes clients, especially if they are new, don't pay any attention to the budget amount and leave a default amount or enter a "placeholder" amount.

If a job posting seems like it is legitimate to you, other than the $5.00 budget amount, then just ignore that, put in a budget that you think is reasonable, and submit your proposal.

Highlighted
Paul M Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
13 of 31

@Preston H wrote:

About $5.00 offers...

...Sometimes clients, especially if they are new, don't pay any attention to the budget amount and leave a default amount or enter a "placeholder" amount...

If a job posting seems like it is legitimate to you, other than the $5.00 budget amount, then just ignore that, put in a budget that you think is reasonable, and submit your proposal.

A thought:

If a client doesn't pay attention to the budget amount, shouldn't that be something you (Upwork) can address?

Emphasize to them the importance of posting accurate figures along with accurate descriptions.  Should we just ignore any budget posting that seems wrong?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natalie B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
14 of 31

I've run into this lately with the graphic design category as well. This week has been especially a flood of cheap clients who will say things like, "It's only a few minutes work..." Uh, no it's not. I avoid the low-balling clients entirely. Don't set your bar too low, or you'll never get quality clients. As others have said, look for smaller jobs for those first few. I accepted a few early jobs that were a little lower than I would've liked to get some history, but the bargain basement clients will give you nothing but headaches!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emily S Member Since: Oct 6, 2015
15 of 31

Since I posted that, I've pretty much avoided even looking at the really low paying jobs and just stuck with submitting proposals for jobs that were paying a decent (for a newbie) amount.  I found a couple of great clients and I've been really happy with the jobs! I like the advice to look for smaller jobs in the beginning rather than poor paying jobs.  That makes sense! 

Preston, thanks for the insight into how the clients' side of the system works.  I've often wondered how they come up with their budget amounts.  I've been hesitant to ever bid above their budget, but sometimes I will offer a fixed amount when they've set it up as an hourly amount. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 31

One of my own clients bid $5.00 as a budget on a project that he anticipated would cost over $1000.00.

I'm not saying it is a wise strategy for clients to do this. But I know that this happens.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natalie B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
17 of 31

How do you place a fixed price bid when it's set up for hourly?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 31

@Natalie B wrote:

How do you place a fixed price bid when it's set up for hourly?

You don't.

You bid hourly, but you can suggest to the client that you'd be open to working on a fixed rate basis.

Having said that, usually clients have good reasons for choosing fixed rate or hourly as the basis for their contracts, so if you want to take on fixed rate contracts apply for those jobs that were posted as fixed rate contracts, not hourly ones.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
19 of 31

Whenever you "don't worry about the money" you end up broke and out of business and on websites such as this, you contribute to the problem of letting scam artists and fraudulent "clients" (I use the term loosely) take advantage of others as well. 

Please. Just stop misdirecting people, Preston. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 31

re: "Emphasize to them the importance of posting accurate figures along with accurate descriptions.  Should we just ignore any budget posting that seems wrong?"

Lots of clients don't know what an "accurate figure" would be to get something done.

If you're a client who does not know ANYTHING about setting up a MySQL database and web application front-end to replace an aging and overworked Excel file, but you know that you NEED to do that, because all your users are screaming at you that they can't edit the Excel file because Bob left it open and went to lunch...

How on Earth are you going to figure out an accurate figure for how much it would cost to do this?

If I see a job like this posted as a fixed-price contract, yes, I will pretty much ignore the posted budget. I will tell the client: "I saw your job description. I do this type of thing regularly. This is the main type of work that I do. The typical amount I charge for this type of conversion and new-system setup is $X. The exact amount would depend on what the input file is like. If you send me a copy of the file I will be able to provide you with a specific, final quote that you can use for a fixed-price contract, and I will also tell you an estimated number of hours I would need to commplete this if you want to us an hourly contract."

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS