cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about search algo

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
11 of 23

The part about this that really irritates me is that when searching for a clear-cut term that SHOULD come up first, regardless of 'who' is doing the search (such as their name) - doesn't work.

Why does that irritate me? because it's a very clear example of how the search algorithm does not work! Upwork has been implimenting countless algoithims with the same apparent quality. These have seriously screwed up the platform and they absolutely refuse to listen to reason. They instead keep adding more and more control functions that sorta work half teh time. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise the more they do this, the more problem they create.

It's so incredibly rediculous that I have completely given up trying to report issues in hopes someone might actually listen and try to make improvments. Instead they give us some very ambiguous justification and tell us that everything is working and look forward to a new and brighter future! Reminds me of ponzi/MLM schemes, where when things start to blow up, all the owners can do is tell their followers to "HAVE FAITH!"

Well.. that doesn't feed our kids or pay the rent.

It's very clear that they have not been able to professionally execute on their efforts of controlling the community though automation, with intent of reducing quality issues. In fact, things are becomming much MUCH worse!

- FAR too soon to rename this platform and give it a paint job guys!

We've all BEGGED countless times to simply just fix what you started and stop adding more 1/2 working features. I understand they NEEDED to do something because Odesk was falling apart, but they are going about it the wrong way! The concept may sound reasonable, but they haven't been able to execute.

What blows me away the most is, they are now starting to merge Elance freelancers into a platform that, from what I understand, is getting worse and worse as each month passes. It's like they are throwing good money into bad. Why screw up Elance too?

FIX this platform FIRST!! Putting all your eggs into one basket that's rotting is going to ruin everything fore veryone.

You guys actually have some great ideas, but if you're not able to hire programmers capable of executing them, then don't do it!

I feel this is a case where less is more. oDesk/Upwork started having serious issues the moment they started implimenting all these automations. Quit trying to controll everything, all it does is leave you open to vulnerabilities and blame. It's proven to be a poor decission thus far. Quit while you're ahead and just make what you've started work first.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
12 of 23

300 programmers worked to create the mess we now have. Mind boggling.

Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
13 of 23

@Jean S: Computers can err, too, but I takes a human to really mess up something.

(to the 300 programmers)

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
14 of 23

I'm also not a believer that the JS or connects are the reason for freelancers not finding work. I'm leaning towards the idea that oDesk's massivily poor reputaion has caused teh old quality clients to leave or significantly reduce their budget for outsourcing. Now they are getting a huge new wave of new 'clients' who are seeking freelancers based on the old reputation. So now we are full of scammers and people who have no business being in business, who flake out 1/2 teh time on their $5 budget postings.

They went from problematic freelancers, to problematic clients.

Teh balance has been missed. Like they tried to over controll one side of things, while ignoring the other. Control efforts failed, causing BOTH sides to falter.

However... once again, they do not listen to us. So let's assume everything is working perfectly in their eyes and this is all intentional Smiley Happy

So why try to change it, or give them feedback? It is what it is. Either it works for us or it doesn't. it's up to us as small business owners ourselves to decide what our next move is. No different than than owning a brick & mortar business. if somethign changes that affects our ability to remin in business, we either adjust accordingly or go bankrupt and fail.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
15 of 23

I agree. 

But it is still hard to accept, isn't it?

"Free"lancing is such a great concept for a plethora of reasons - and could be a blessing for people around the globe if executed professionally. I just don't understand how a platform like this with access to so much talent can't come up with better solutions. 

Or - maybe they don't want to due to some sort of hidden agenda? Somebody else suggested in another thread: they are clever people, investing a lot of money. Surely they wouldn't make rookie mistakes like this? 

Or would they?

Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
16 of 23

I agree with all I read so far and don't want to change the topic but I think it is also a rapid growth-they just need to find the new ways to keep up with it or transform. I mean not just oDesk, freelancing as an industry in general. And also all the people from Elance -I think around million -should be transferred here in the next two years, so yes, they should come up with something better.   I think that having more clients on the market somehow makes it harder to find the right ones  (but of course this is completely my opinion and my situation, not the universal truth-I see there are people who are just starting out and doing just fine.)It is kind of the same thing as with the world's largest cities-so many opportunities, so many  great people on both sides-as employers and employees- but so hard for them to connect and find each other.

And when some concept becomes really massive, it kind of always means a loss in one way or  another. Like for example, my favorite job finding website was one thing in 2006 and completely another in 2015-like in 2006 it was really great! I really regret that I didn't start freelancing early on like in 2003-I just think that in the smaller market visibility and chances are much improved and conditions are better and of course it is always better when you are a pioneer (again, this is just my personal opinion- I am sure there are many people who feel quite opposite.) And back to the topic-yes, of course this algorithm doesn't help at all (although I have private profile so it doesn't affect me anyway, but nonetheless-people should be able to find Tony when they search for Tony, not Ann, or Jane.)

Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
17 of 23

I've had a support ticket running on this issue for a couple of weeks now, regarding irrelevant search results and appearing way down in a list of Freelancers who have no relation to the skills searched for.

All the replies I've been getting from support don't really address the situation.

It's very frustrating and sometimes annoying.

A very efficient search engine that works perfectly for Clients and  Freelancers is a necessity if Upwork is to survive.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 23

re: "300 programmers worked to create the mess we now have. Mind boggling."

I don't know if this figure is accurate or not.

But I can't imagine a situation where 300 programmers could create something that isn't a mess.

By definition, anything created by 300 programmers will be something of a mess, even if it works.

Can you imagine the quality of a novel written by 300 writers?

There will always been room for improvement and enhanced consolidation and increased uniformity for the sake of maintainability in anything created by that many programmers, even with exceptional levels of quality control and project management.

There are innumerable applications and software systems more complex than the totality of Upwork which were well-designed by a single programmer.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
19 of 23

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elainepofeldt/2015/05/05/elance-odesk-becomes-upwork-today-odesk-brand-g...

“We’re seeing this as a complete relaunch of the company,” said Stephane Kasriel, who became the company’s new CEO on April 20, in a phone interview. He led the global team of more than 300 engineers, designers and programmers to launch the new Upwork platform. Fabio Rosati, who led the Mountain View, Calif.-headquartered company since its formation, will remain active on its board of directors, according to the firm.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
20 of 23

@Natasa M wrote:

....And also all the people from Elance -I think around million -should be transferred here in the next two years....

Actually, Natasa, the door shuts on "bridging" or "merging" one's Elance account in six weeks. It's not clear how many of the two million nominal Elance providers are active. Officially, and barring an extension, anyone who misses joining by the end of September would have to start here from scratch.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS