Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Mod - Maximum Penalty and Maximum Increase in JS Score

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 10

What is the maximum percentage drop a person can get with 1 job.

Wish it the maximum percentage increase a person can get with 1 job.

It seems that we are penalized more than than if the job was successful.

For instance...a 10% drop maximum for a bad contract compared to 2% increase for a good contract.

I would simply like to know the maximums for both.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 10

Some good contracts don't even count. Also one client closed one of my contracts, but to hire me again for a higher rate, and it didn't count. Almost all my clients hired me repeteadly and no movement. After all of these achievements my JSS remained the same.

One slight problem - drastic fall

Great

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 10

Jean,

We have gone to great lengths to share as much information as possible about the Job Success score and how it is calculated here and on numerous discussion threads. We will not be able to share exact numbers and percentages as it will open room for abuse of the system which we are trying to prevent.

Thank you for understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
4 of 10
Jean,

The percentage would also be dependent on the number of jobs involved in the calculation, as well as the time frame (6, 12 or 24 months).

Valeria couldn't answer that question even if she wanted to.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 10

@Setu M wrote:
The percentage would also be dependent on the number of jobs involved in the calculation, as well as the time frame (6, 12 or 24 months).

Valeria couldn't answer that question even if she wanted to.

You should know that's not true.  It's just math, and it should be trivial for someone who knows the formula to construct a best/worst case scenario.

But, without that knowledge, we can look at my rollercoaster as an empirical example.  I was at 82% when a non-job slid out of my 6 month window, shooting me up to 100%.  Then after zero jobs of difference, the next update after that took me from 100% to 80%.  So the answer as to the "measured" maximum is 20%.  It's quite possible the true maximum is even higher.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 10
@Darrin,

I was preparing a lengthy reply with calculations and figures - but without dates and actual numbers, it would make no sense.

I am sure however that there is no set value for a "successful" or "unsuccessful" job.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
7 of 10

@Valeria K wrote:

Jean,

We have gone to great lengths to share as much information as possible about the Job Success score and how it is calculated here and on numerous discussion threads. We will not be able to share exact numbers and percentages as it will open room for abuse of the system which we are trying to prevent.

Thank you for understanding.

Valeria,

Surely all freelancers deserve to see exactly whats going on with all these changing numbers that are having an effect on their livelihoods? Transparency is key when conducting business between each other. It would also be beneficial to see all the numbers so you can try and get a better understanding of what an earth its all about and there may or may not be fewer people moaning about JSS all the time. It has never been properly explained 100%

You also mention that showing all numbers would open room for abuse - The fact that you have said that means that there are holes in the system from the start and Upwork doesn't want them exposed.

I am sure that if it were the case whereby we could all see our numbers in full via a monthly email or update, valid points would then be brought up that are backed up by facts rather than speculative moaning (I am a culprit)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 10

Not sure how helpful it is, as I'm only on about Elance, and I'm not sure how much their format may have influenced the formula for JSS... but the recommended percentage on there can influence your score more than it should from a real world mathematics kind of aspect.

I.e. you can have completed 9 jobs with a 100% recommended score and then get a low score on job number 10 and have quite a bit less than 90% as an overall score.

Might be very different here, but the vibe I got from Elance was that you have to do quite a lot of highly scored projects to offset just one lowly scored one. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

It's like that with percentages.

Even if it was just a clear percentages (which we know it isn't) then if you had 100% for 9 jobs, and job 10 went wrong you would drop to 90% - One more good one would not get you back to 100% - just to 92% ...

One job with some "professional differences of opinion" dropped me from 100% to 93% and it's taken quite a while to claw myself back to 99%...

I suspect it will take until 6 months after the end of that before I get my 100% back Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
10 of 10

I am with you on this one Petra, I had one drop me from 100% to 93% I had a long term close and it didn't budge and somewhere along the line a few weeks ago I went up to 94% and took on a new client it didn't budge one bit. I have a feeling it will be a long road before I ever see 100% again..

And from my calculations when my long term drop off the ones which left me bad feedback will drop my score even more next year. Soooooooooooooo I have no hope for a long time before I even see 100% again. 1 bad client and one who couldn't find time to get me worked managed to drop me way down. I did nothing wrong with either. Just wasn't a good fit for one and the other was to busy after he hired me to give me more work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS