🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question regarding Hourly Contract
Page options
arunasalman
Community Member

Question regarding Hourly Contract

Hello, 

I have started my first hourly contract. According to the reseach I did on Upwork community and guidelines, I understand that I need the tracker app (yes, its downloaded and installed ).

Now when I start a working on it I need to log hours, just turn it on and write meaningful memos, so that the work I do is clearly defined along with screenshot that the tracker takes. 

My questions are 

1) How frequently should I write the memos? Like hourly? or every 30 mins?

2) The contract involves for me to get to know the clients website first, because  to create  the graphics I have to get info from the website itself. So when I am doing this research, that is also considered work of the client, and I can start the tracker during the reseach as well as when I am designing. Am I right? 

I hope my questions are clear 🙂

Thank for your help, have a good day

Aruna

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cassajoy
Community Member

Yes, you should track time for any work that you do for a client. 🙂 You can write a memo or change it for each task if you like, but you can really just write a brief description and it will attach the same memo to all the screenshots during that tracking time period. You can also wait till after you're done working to write or edit a memo. I also heard that many clients may not even look at the memo or work diary, but it is better to have at least some brief description as it adds more protection, if you will.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
cassajoy
Community Member

Yes, you should track time for any work that you do for a client. 🙂 You can write a memo or change it for each task if you like, but you can really just write a brief description and it will attach the same memo to all the screenshots during that tracking time period. You can also wait till after you're done working to write or edit a memo. I also heard that many clients may not even look at the memo or work diary, but it is better to have at least some brief description as it adds more protection, if you will.

arunasalman
Community Member

Thank you Cassidy 🙂

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How frequently should I write the memos? Like hourly? or every 30 mins?"

Writing memos shows respect for the client.

And it protects me, as a freelancer, from getting ripped off if the client's credit card can't be charged.

Plan to update the memos every time you are changing to a new task.

If you are working on a task for two or more hours, then change the wording of the memo.

So, basically, we get one memo for one hour's timeline, but I can change it, like perhaps add on to the existing memo? right?

re: "So, basically, we get one memo for one hour's timeline, but I can change it, like perhaps add on to the existing memo? right?"

I'm just giving you a guideline that you may use to demonstrate respect for your clients.

What I recommended is not an official rule.

The physical user interface ALLOWS you to change memos as often as you want. Change the memo every minute if you want to. Or don't change it at all, ever. You could use a single memo for an entire month.

Upwork's physical time-tracker software allows you to do whatever you want. You don't have to use a memo at all if you don't care about Upwork Payment Protection.

Upwork does NOT lay out specific rules. Upwork representatives will NOT tell you that you need to change a memo once per hour. They will tell you to use your best judgement.

I don't recommend changing the memo every minute, and I don't recommend never changing the memo.

I have been doing hourly contracts for quite a while, and what I normally do with the Memos is update it based on the TASK I am working on, not based on a set amount of time.   I change the memo when I change the task or the 'focus' of the task I am working on.

Example memo 1:  Researching cause of system bug in client's system...., etc, etc

Example memo 2:  Writing software patches to fix system bug discovered...., etc, etc

Example memo 3:  Bundling new software packages for the client in preparation for hand-over, etc etc

Example memo 4:  Uploading and storing software pages on client's google drive....etc etc

Memos 1 and 2 might take HOURS, and memos 3 and 4 might take only a few minutes.

There's no need to change it specifically ever 10 minutes or every hour, etc, but I change it so that the client can see meaningful information about what was being worked on and for how long

Yes, doing the RESEARCH you need to start or complete the work is also considered 'work' that should be logged.  You just make a note in the memo what you are research, why, and for what task/goal

cassajoy
Community Member

The memos are grouped by each session. If you work for 40 mins, then take a 10 min break and turn off the tracker for the break, then a new memo will be created when you turn the tracker back on. So maybe, if it makes sense to, you can turn off the tracker for a minute to change tasks so that you can create a new memo. There might be a better way, haha, but that's how I'm looking at it. And yes, you can go back and edit the memo (or group) or add to it.

petra_r
Community Member

Cassidy D wrote:

If you work for 40 mins, then take a 10 min break and turn off the tracker for the break, then a new memo will be created when you turn the tracker back on.

No, it doesn't- The same memo carries on until it is physically changed.

All you have to do to change the memo is click in the memo field... There is no need to turn the tracker off and on... just click on the memo field, change the memo and be done with it.

cassajoy
Community Member

That makes sense. I was talking from my experience because I have needed to step away for five or ten mins and I turn off the tracker for that short time.

arunasalman
Community Member

Thank you Cassidy, Petra, CJ A and Preston  for your valuable input and time. 

I now have a good understanding of how the hourly contracts work and how to use the tracker and memos.

Have a good day 🙂

Aruna 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members