🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question regarding to client's feedback
Page options
mollimao
Community Member

Question regarding to client's feedback

Hello!

I had a client who asked me to do a short video for promotional use, which is also a competition info for recruitment. They asked specificially that they need fast paced video. I looked at their brief and their reference videos and I immediately said that it is very hard to show the viewers the information with such fast pace and in such short timeframe. But they said that they want fast pace, and I could reword their script. Also, they gave me nearly 15gbs of footages and photos of their company and asked me to use whatever content i want. They asked me if I could do the work, I said I could, because I understand what they want according to their reference videos.

Within an hour, he opened the contract. Then, he gave me a link tell me to upload my work on the cloud. I opened it, it already had five folders with each freelancers' name. I was a bit shock, i know that sometimes client could hire multiple freelancers, but he did not say anything in advance. Normally, if I knew I would 'compete' with other freelancers, I would not take the project, cause I don't need some clients who barely knows the knowledge of editing to judge and choose the 'winner'.

But since I accepted the offer so I decieded to ignore it and did what I supposed to and provide them what they want. Though it was 45s video, it's still quite painful, not to mention that I need to find 10-15 footages among thousands of them.

I gave them the 5s draft as they required, that they want to see if we are on the right track. The person who contacted me said he quite like it. So I kept editing on the same style. After I handed them my first draft, the guy said that he like it but he need to show it to their boss. Then I got the most unpleasant feedback🙄 She said that "the video was too fast, the words are too fast to read, and the footages are not related. Also, what is the snow in the beginning" All these are what I had warned them in the beginning. 

(I explained to them that it was not the snow, only the particle to create the suspense they want to emphasize their reward, which they had specifically emphasized that they want eye catching content to show their reward.)

Then, I asked them to provide me more detailed feedback, e.g., which footage are irrelevent so that I could have a direction to adjust. Then they did not respond to me in five days, during which I also texted them that I need more specific feedback. They still not responding everything, I figured they are more inclined to other freelancers' work, which is totally okay with me. So I submitted the milestone.

Then, they reponded me with two very irrevent questions:"is that all uploaded on the drive? working file and videos"and "can you find an alternative to the snow?" Then, he approved the milestone. 

I respond to them that I am a little confused of whether or not they still what to keep working with me and that I am okay if they chose other people's work, just let me know.

They stop replying since then. 

Should I wait and let them close the contract? Since I know if I close it myself, and they are not replying, it would affect my rate, also what if they also not pleasant with my work, and rate me down?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Xu M wrote:

Since I know if I close it myself, and they are not replying, it would affect my rate

That is not true. If you close the contract and the client doesn't leave feedback, that would be BY FAR the best outcome for you.

The client (clearly) doesn't like your work and if they were to leave feedback, that feedback likely wouldn't be great. So your best bet is to close the contract yourself, stop contacting the client and hope the client doesn't leave feedback (contracts with no feedback from the client have no effect on the JSS in any way.)

Xu M wrote:

also what if they also not pleasant with my work, and rate me down?

Then it is what it is. But unresponsive clients don't usually pop back up to leave feedback unless the freelancer bothers them with constant repeated messages.

That said, the client has never left poor (public) feedback in the previous 50 contracts. They tend to either leave 5 stars or none at all.

I would suggest you just quietly close the contract and walk away.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Xu M wrote:

Since I know if I close it myself, and they are not replying, it would affect my rate

That is not true. If you close the contract and the client doesn't leave feedback, that would be BY FAR the best outcome for you.

The client (clearly) doesn't like your work and if they were to leave feedback, that feedback likely wouldn't be great. So your best bet is to close the contract yourself, stop contacting the client and hope the client doesn't leave feedback (contracts with no feedback from the client have no effect on the JSS in any way.)

Xu M wrote:

also what if they also not pleasant with my work, and rate me down?

Then it is what it is. But unresponsive clients don't usually pop back up to leave feedback unless the freelancer bothers them with constant repeated messages.

That said, the client has never left poor (public) feedback in the previous 50 contracts. They tend to either leave 5 stars or none at all.

I would suggest you just quietly close the contract and walk away.

mollimao
Community Member

Hi Thanks for your reply.

So I should just end the contract with 'contract end successfully' right?

And do not give any feedback as well.

Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Xu M wrote:

So I should just end the contract with 'contract end successfully' right?

And do not give any feedback as well.

You have to leave feedback but yes, just close it as successfully completed.

mollimao
Community Member

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just another question,

should I ranked them a little down? Like 3 to 4 stars, I never ranked anyone down before.

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Member

Xu M wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply!

Just another question,

should I ranked them a little down? Like 3 to 4 stars, I never ranked anyone down before.

You should really mark them however you honestly felt working with them was for you. It is personal. Nobody can tell you what your experience with your client was like...

mollimao
Community Member

I really appreciated your help!

Thank you ☺️
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members