🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question to clients from a freelancer about h...
Page options
aia_studio
Community Member

Question to clients from a freelancer about hiring new freelancers without Upwork work history

"Question to clients from a freelancer about hiring new freelancers without Upwork work history."

I have been trying hard to land my first job by building my UpWork profile/portfolio, and getting acquainted with the platform. I have submitted 31 proposal until now & didn't get lucky yet.

I guess it is understandable for clients to be set off by a zero UpWork job history freelancer profile, so I thaught maybe a client point of view on that matter could help me figure out how I can overstep that obstacle & land my first gig.

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi Amer,

I can understand that you are concerned about not winning jobs so far. It may take some time to win jobs especially if you are just starting, but I hope that this doesn't discourage you to continue applying to jobs you're interested in. Here are some tips to help  you improve your profile and write proposals: 

9 Tips to Help You Create a Freelancer Profile That Stands Out

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Freelancer Portfolio

10 Upwork Profile Examples That Will Help You Get Clients

How To Get More Jobs on Upwork in 2021

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

How to Write a Cover Letter

You can find more helpful resources here.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for your reply. I have already done that homework & still am. Anyhow I have a request for UpWork:
-Freelancers without any gig yet can submit free proposal until they land one or so jobs in order to have the chance to be fairly rated and prove themselves.
-Only clients with a certain amount spent can benefit from such free proposals & for let say one time a year or whatever your experts would know best.

That way & with these restrictions the free proposal/gig will not affect the ongoing system yet it will enhance it a create a real opportunity for talents to rise.

To be honest, & on a professional level, I have spent some time comparing some profiles/portfolio that have won gigs to others who didn't & I can assure you that those who didn't land those gigs are way more qualified. Thus the must have & must keep work history/badges/ratings is overshadowing & creating a real obstacle in front of many really talented & qualified freelancers.

We all know that clients have cold feet when it comes to a freelancer with none of those criteria (work history/badges/ratings) & that is completely understandable, but UpWork can do something about it and keep on praising those who have earned it but yet providing a fair play for the newcomers.

Hopefully what I have just said made some sense to you. Hope it would be taken into consideration & thank you for your support.

Amer I wrote:

I have spent some time comparing some profiles/portfolio that have won gigs to others who didn't & I can assure you that those who didn't land those gigs are way more qualified. 

How would you know? You can't see who else applied, you don't know what the client was looking for, you don't know how the interviews went. 

Amer I wrote:

Freelancers without any gig yet can submit free proposal until they land one or so jobs in order to have the chance to be fairly rated and prove themselves.

That is a terrible idea. That would simply lead to clients being even more spammed with proposals than they are already. They'd literally drown in proposals. 

Amer I wrote:

Only clients with a certain amount spent can benefit from such free proposals

Clients wouldn't benefit from that at all. They are already getting way too many proposals.

Hello Petra,

You don't need to compare those proposals or attend these interviews to know, this is not a specific case study it is rather a trend caused by a system. As I said before I know that because I have already compared many profiles and portfolios' content where I found that impeccable profiles and portfolios' content have no UpWork work history & that barely basic ones with sometimes even higher working hour rates have more than one work in progress. Thus, talent & qualification are losing to those pre-mentioned criteria.

As for the "clients being even more spammed with proposals" of course not, my proposal was clear, limited & conditional to serve a special purpose of establishing a 2-sided beneficial fair game. Anyhow who said that those type of proposal can't be filtered, with a simple filter a client can choose not to receive them, although I doubt any one will use it. Who would want to miss on the opportunity to discover an UpWork unfairly buried talent without risking a single penny.

I am very much aware that this idea is not a pleasant one for those who are already benefiting from the current system as it is & from those criteria (work history/badges/ratings) which are allowing them to unfairly perish the competition. And as I said in my previous post those criteria are a must have and a must keep yet with some tuning to the system that opens the door to new & fresh UpWork talent to shine, compete and raise the bar high where it should be.

You forget that every successful freelancer was a new freelancer once.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Upwork already gives new freelancers a bunch of free connects, and then throws more at them for getting interviews, and if that is still not enough, they can buy more like everyone else. 

Your whole post is a figment of your imagination.

You said: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

And what do you call that ? Allowing yourself to make offensive statements & shift from the subject and make it personal jumping to conclusion based on what you might think I did. The least I could say about it that it is very sad. I expected to have a discussing regarding the subject but instead you started your previous post without any greeting (it's fine) & using word like "terrible" (I let it pass) when you could have used something like "not good". **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Look, I'm sorry if I upset you. The thing is, if you have ever been on the client side at Upwork, you'd know that you are bombarded by dozens of proposals, most of which are often very poor indeed. Giving newbies unlimited free proposals would mean clients would be spammed like crazy by completely unqualified people (along with the few great new freelancers, who would get lost in all the poor ones)

You weren't here when connects were free and they were introduced to combat just that, so it is most unlikely that Upwork would go for that idea.

The idea is that the truly talented professionals WILL get hired sooner or later, and the ones who aren't talented give up and go away. That is how it usually works.

You also need to remember that there are far more freelancers on the site than can actually be supported. 

I guess we simply started off on the wrong foot... Apparently you have a history and an intensive experience on this platform as you have been here since at least 2011 & for that I do have to respect what you’re saying & understand where it is coming from.

You said:"Giving newbies unlimited free proposals would mean clients would be spammed like crazy by completely unqualified people (along with the few great new freelancers, who would get lost in all the poor ones)"

I won't say much regarding the subject now but I just want to assure you that this is not what I am proposing at all as it is definitely limited and conditional for both parties.

Thank you for your last reply & have a great day Petra.

Regards

tlbp
Community Member

Clients who want to hire a freelancer with no history on the platform can easily find them by setting their search parameters accordingly. 

writer - Upwork - Google Chrome 2021-08-26 at 1.29.14 PM.jpeg

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members