🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question
Page options
arizalajonilyn
Community Member

Question

How to find out if the client has read my messages for him?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How to find out if the client has read my messages for him?"

There is no way to know.

m_sharman
Community Member

I'm curious about this as well. I feel like six months ago, the messaging box told you when it was viewed, either in the app or on the website. Now, it's a mystery.

Any gurus know for sure?

Miriam H wrote:

I'm curious about this as well. I feel like six months ago, the messaging box told you when it was viewed, either in the app or on the website. Now, it's a mystery.

Any gurus know for sure?

Yes, Preston does ... and so do I.

There is no way to be sure. If a client sets up preferences to use their local email program and have messages automatically downloaded to that program, there is no way to know what they've read.

All my client messages are downloaded to my Mail program (unless I'm logged in on the site). I can view client messages without the client knowing this, until I respond.

nyrrielatienza
Community Member

Hi Jonilyn,

In addition to what Preston has said, please know that we don't have a feature where "read receipts" were confirmed on the app, or on the messages center. Based on feedback we received from users on threads and via other channels, we don't have that feature and decided not to go forward with implementing this. You can also check this thread

~ Riri

Hi Riri,

Am I misremembering that last year, you could see when a message was viewed if you were reading messages on the actual message section of the website?

As a separate, but related note, the "unread" messages doesn't function doesn't always work well for me and occassionally, I have kept the website up all day, no messages and then later on a message shows up with a time stamp from earlier that day. I don't know if it was in drafts for the other user, but it happens periodically.

Hi Miriam, 

I apologize for not getting back to you soon, as we needed to check this. I have confirmed with the team that we didn't have that feature before. Also one of our representatives would reach out via email regarding the technical issue you have been experiencing regarding your messages. 

~ Riri

Miriam H wrote:

Am I misremembering that last year, you could see when a message was viewed if you were reading messages on the actual message section of the website?

Yes, you are misremembering.

Upwork did once ask us if we would find that function useful, and the consensus was almost uniformly "No way!"

The last thing I need is clients knowing I have read their message and go gaga because I don't respond right away.

The last thing clients need is freelancers freaking out because they don't get an answer right away. People have busy lives and respond to messages when they have time.

Thanks Riri. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths