🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Questions to Potential Clients?
Page options
lamont2019
Community Member

Questions to Potential Clients?

Does anyone know of a way, or is there a feature on Upwork that allows you to ask a potential client one or two questions about the job before submitting a proposal? Because somtime job posts aren't all that clear about what the job is, the description is sometimes vague! I don't want to always have to submit a proposal to a job that I'm kind of interested in, but not know enough about what it all entails! And not only that, I feel like sometimes I have to pay, using my connects, just to find out more about the job! If there is no feature or way of asking questions before submitting a proposal on Upwork, then there needs to be that option. There is another freelance website called peopleperhour.com, and on that site, there is an option for asking the potential client a question or two before submitting a proposal.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Does anyone know of a way, or is there a feature on Upwork that allows you to ask a potential client one or two questions about the job?

You may ask a client as many questions as you want, as part of your proposals.

This is fine to do, and it demonstrates sincere interest in the client's project.

re: "I feel like sometimes I have to pay, using my connects, just to find out more about the job"

I am not sure why you feel like that. You are never obligated to apply to a job if you don't want to.

re: "There is another freelance website called peopleperhour.com, and on that site, there is an option for asking the potential client a question or two before submitting a proposal."

If that site has features that make it a better fit for your freelancing needs, then you are welcome to focus your efforts there. Upwork currently has no plans to replicate that feature.

bundie702
Community Member

I understand your frustration. I've seen many editing jobs that simply say, "I've written a book and I want to get it edited." Nothing about the topic (not even whether it's fiction or nonfiction) or length. I'm not willing to use my contacts to find out that it's a story about fairies or werewolves, or nonfiction about recycling or something else that doesn't interest me, so I just don't respond. Sometimes those clients send me invitations to interview, and that allows me to ask my questions. I've noticed, though, that the responses are generally very few, less than 5 in many cases, because others are also reluctant to answer such vague ads.

I have to wonder if Upwork informs their clients that the more information they give, the more responses they will get...?

Bettye U wrote:

I have to wonder if Upwork informs their clients that the more information they give, the more responses they will get...?

That depends on what you mean by "informs their clients." Upwork offers clients tips for success just like they do freelancers...and, like freelancers, most clients don't bother to read them. 

"Upwork offers clients tips for success just like they do freelancers...and, like freelancers, most clients don't bother to read them. "

------------------------

Good point.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths