🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Quick question from a new freelancer!
Page options
keea
Community Member

Quick question from a new freelancer!

Hey everybody

Appreciate it if you could help me out with this. Once we've accepted the offer from a client, is there still a possibility that they hire somebody else? For instance: I've reached the first milestone. I want to make sure my work is satisfactory, which may require a revision, but I'm completely fine with that. 

Is there a chance the client could just walk away or abandon our offer after the first milestone is reached?

Thanks a lot!

Trying to figure out how everything works on here and what to expect.

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Keea A wrote:

Hey everybody

Appreciate it if you could help me out with this. Once we've accepted the offer from a client, is there still a possibility that they hire somebody else? For instance: I've reached the first milestone. I want to make sure my work is satisfactory, which may require a revision, but I'm completely fine with that. 

Is there a chance the client could just walk away or abandon our offer after the first milestone is reached?

Thanks a lot!

Absolutely, a client can terminate a contract at any time if he is not satisfied with the results or does not need the work any longer, and he can hire as many people for the same contract as he likes. You can of course also end a contract at any time.

The most important thing for a new freelancer is not to get too excited about the first offers and not to click accept before having ALL the files and information you need to start working. 

Martina P wrote:

Keea A wrote:

Hey everybody

Thanks a lot!

Absolutely, a client can terminate a contract at any time if he is not satisfied with the results or does not need the work any longer, and he can hire as many people for the same contract as he likes. You can of course also end a contract at any time.

The most important thing for a new freelancer is not to get too excited about the first offers and not to click accept before having ALL the files and information you need to start working. 

To clarify... If the client closes the contract without paying for the milestone, then you can dispute his request for a refund of the money in escrow. But if the two of you can't reach an agreement in the dispute mediation process, then the only way to enforce your right to the escrow money is to go to arbitration, which costs you $291. (This payment is refundable if the client doesn't pay too, in which case you win the dispute by default.)

Ok I see. I think I understand. Thanks!

If I've accepted the offer though, I will be one of the individuals deemed 'hired' at the bottom of the listing. Correct?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Keea, 

Welcome to the Community, and to Upwork! 

It is likely that the client may hire another freelancer, especially if they find the need for another freelancer to assist them with their project. Since you are new here, I would definitely recommend that you read up on the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

Hopefully these help to help you identify red flags when working on projects on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you have essentially finished the work on any milestone, be sure to submit it via the green "Submit" button (not via email, etc.), especially with new clients.

If I understand the fixed price rules correctly, if you wait until the work is completely finished, an unscrupulous client can take your final submission and then cancel the project before you have formally submitted your work, which means you have no recourse to ever get paid for your work.

After submission of your work via Upwork's system, the client has no obligation to immediately release payment for the milestone; you have 14 days to work with them to wrap up any loose ends before Upwork automatically releases payment for that milestone to you. I recommend you make it clear to the client what you think still needs work when you submit your work, so they don't think you are demanding payment on a milestone that is not 100% complete.

The client can choose to release payment at any time after your submission up to the 14 day limit.

If there is more than one milestone set up for a project, do not start work on the next milestone until a) payment for the full amount of all previous milestones has been released to you and b) the next milestone has been fully funded by the client.

Good luck!

Will L wrote:

If I understand the fixed price rules correctly, if you wait until the work is completely finished, an unscrupulous client can take your final submission and then cancel the project before you have formally submitted your work, which means you have no recourse to ever get paid for your work.

I'm pretty sure the client can cancel whether you've submitted the work or not. The freelancer's protection against non-payment lies in their ability to dispute the refund of escrow, and if necessary go to arbitration.

Richard,

The client can cancel in either case, but if they cancel after the work has been formally submitted via Upwork they can't just walk away with both the work delivered and their money money in escrow. Mediation and. possibly, arbitration will be necessary for them to have their escrowed funds returned. The freelancer has a chance of getting paid.

If the client receives the work other than through Upwork's Submit process, it is my understanding the client can cancel the project and both keep the work and automatically receive the escrowed funds without having to explain themselves to anyone. The freelancer is out of luck.

kat303
Community Member

Keea A wrote:

Hey everybody

Appreciate it if you could help me out with this. Once we've accepted the offer from a client, is there still a possibility that they hire somebody else?

Yes, a client can hire as many freelancers as they want. They can also cancel/close a contract for any reason, no reason at all and at any time and hire someone else. If there is money in escrow and a client does that, you can open a dispute in order to get paid. 

For instance: I've reached the first milestone. I want to make sure my work is satisfactory, which may require a revision, but I'm completely fine with that. 

if you've completed the requirements/scope of work for the 1st milestone, submit it using the Submit Word/Request payment button. The client may then - ask for revisions - release the funds for that milestone - disappear which in that case the funds will be automatically released to you in 14 days. (The client has those 14 days to look over your work)

If another milestone is created do NOT start working on it until the funds in the 1st milestone is released. And make sure each milestone as they come up are Fully funded. 

Yes, both a freelancer and/or a client can end, cancel, close or walk away from a contract at any time for any reason or no reason at all. If they disappear, the funds will be automatically released to you in 14 days. If they close/cancel a contract, then you should dispute that cancelling/closing because if you don't all funds in escrow will be returned to the client. Remember, there's a difference between closing/cancelling a contract and just disappearing after you send the completed files/materials. Cancelling/closing requires a dispute in order to be paid. Disappearing after receiving completed work requires a 14 day waiting period in order to get paid.

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members