Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question on funding

ailish_d
Community Leader
Ailish D Member Since: Jun 19, 2016
1 of 12

Hello all

I have a client who approached me to write 3 articles, each with 1000 words, and the budget was $50. He asked me what my fee would be for 10x1000 words monthly, so I gave him a figure which he agreed with.

However, when he sent me a contract, he has only funded $5. For 3 x 1000 words. I asked him about it and he said he always works like this, and will pay the $50 when I have done the 3 articles, but that the $5 is just to set up the job?

I'm relatively new and have never come across this before - all my clients have funded the full amounts so this just struck me as odd.

What do you think?

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

I'd advise you don't start working until a significant amount is in escrow, either to fund the whole project or to fund a milestone (i.e. your rate/price for a single article). Otherwise, you'll submit your work and have no guarantee that the client will ever pay up.

View solution in original post

ailish_d
Community Leader
3 of 12

Thanks Daniel

That's what I thought but as I'm new I did wonder whether this was normal.

Now I know, thanks

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

Swim with the bottom feeders and you're gonna drown. That's a terrible rate you're charging.

Anywho, tell him to escrow it fully.

ailish_d
Community Leader
5 of 12

Jennifer, really??? No wonder he jumped at the chance.

It's a minefield!!! It's really hard knowing what to charge, especially when you see really low offers.

I was initially just trying to build up a portfolio, but some of the work involved in thses jobs is really time consuming.

So, what would you think would be a decent price to charge for a relative newbie, for 10 x 1000 word articles?

I know that's a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question, but roughly.

Thanks

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 12

My price depends on the content and research and all that. Since coding usually requires research and referencing, it's a few hundies.

If it's something I can write off the top of my head or it's not in my area of expertise, I charge an hour for 500 words.

I write stuff totally out of my area of expertise for a client and I charge 5 hours for 4 500-word pieces since there is some research there. The only reason he uses me is because I'm reliable and easy to work with. He tried a much cheaper provider and wound up paying me to write it new, so now he just sends it to me. I know that he could get lots of $1/100 bidders if he put the gig in the open market. There are definitely reasons why clients choose to pay a higher price rather than work with bottom feeders. Have to capitalize on it.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Ailish,

We encourage freelancers to make sure the milestone is funded fully before they start working or submit work for that milestone. That was you will be able to benefit from Upwork Fixed-Price protection.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ailish_d
Community Leader
8 of 12

Thanks Valeria

I think I will go back to him and ask for it to be fully funded.

He messaged me back to say he wasn't trying to scam me - which then makes me think he's trying to scam me!!

ailish_d
Community Leader
9 of 12

Update - I spoke to the client who has now fully funded the first milestone, thanks everyone Smiley Happy

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 12

Ailish, I'm glad you were able to get the funding worked out on this project.

This is a bit off topic, but I want to suggest that you remove the opening line about being new and trying to build a portfolio from your profile. Both scam artists and those who just want to get the work done as cheaply as possible without regard to quality target newcomers, so that's a little like walking down a dark street at 3 a.m. with a wad of cash in your hand around here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS