🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Quitting a job
Page options
d_kokologianni
Community Member

Quitting a job

Hello Community,

I have a problem ..I accepted a job that turned to be very disadvantageous for me...Many working hours without good payment...What Am I suppose to do?If I give a refund to the client,still my rate will collapse?

13 REPLIES 13
lysis10
Community Member

How many weeks you got left until top rated? Get top rated, /ragequit, use top rated perk.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You have completed 14 jobs.

You have a Job Success Score of 100%.

Your JSS will not collapse from this.

I understand that you want to stop working for this client.

Why not simply stop working? Why do you need to give a refund?

If this is an hourly contract, you can explain that you won't be available to work on this project any further. And simply stop working for the client. Retain all the money you have earned thus far.

If this is a fixed-price contract, you can explain that you won't be able to complete the project, and retain any money you have already earned. If you haven't been paid for even one milestone yet, you could explain: "Janet: You have already received 90% of the work that we agreed upon for this first milestone. I won't be able to continue working on the project, but I would like you to be able to continue with what we have done so far. If you will release 50% of the payment, I will let you keep all of the work that has been completed, and I will refund the rest of the money to you immediately."

(That's a GOOD deal for the client!)

For the record, simply giving a refund doesn't negatively impact. It is giving 100% refunds (resulting in a zero-pay contract) which CAN have a negative impact. But in your case, I don't think you have anything to worry about even if you do that.

Are you in a situation where you can stop working for this client and retain SOME payment (at least a dollar or two) from the contract?

With 14 jobs, she gets a 1 from surprise quitting and it absolutely will go downhill and possibly below 90%. If she is close to TR, she should wait until she gets it before quitting.

Do I need to wait 13 weeks to be to rated?...

Dimitra K wrote:

Do I need to wait 13 weeks to be to rated?...

Yeah, 13/16 weeks but Phyllis mentioned that you have only been active since July so that's a no-go. You can try to quit as gracefully as possible but if he rates you down you'll probably take a strong hit on your JSS. Depends on how bad he rates you. If it's something like an 8, maybe it won't be so bad. Nobody can tell you for sure, but it will drop.

Her oldest job is from July, so she won't hit TR for months yet. Gonna need to ease out.

Dimitra, I would tell the client that the project has turned out not to be a good fit for me and I need to end the contract; and I would offer to continue for a specified period to enable her to find someone to take my place. You are not legally obligated to do that, but you want to avoid making the client angry or frustrated, if possible, to avoid getting slammed on feedback.

We had a fixed-price contract..I completed the first project that we had and they asked me if I wanted to continue...I said Yes but after that the job was not the same..More work added,help not provided as in the first contract...

If the specs are different on the second milestone, you can tell the client--respectfully but clearly--that your fee will be different, and by how much. Or you can tell them that you don't feel your capabilities are a good fit for the second one. If they are reasonable, and you aren't creating an emergency for them by bailing out at the last minute, then that should not trigger them to leave bad feedback. But there are no guarantees, of course. Anything's possible. I think you need to just do the best you can to extricate yourself. Be polite but clear.

re: "We had a fixed-price contract..I completed the first project that we had and they asked me if I wanted to continue...I said Yes but after that the job was not the same..More work added,help not provided as in the first contract..."

It REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE if:

a) you completed the first contract, and that contract was closed, and then you started a new contract

[or]

b) you completed te first milestone, and payment was released for that milestone, and you started a new milestone

If you are on your SECOND MILESTONE for this current contract, then it means you were ALREADY PAID some money on this contract. You can close the contract and release the current milestone money without risking having a zero-pay contract.

The best thing for you to do is to end things professionally and elegantly, with the client feeling as positively toward you as possible.

But you are at much less risk with JSS if you have already earned money on this contract.

Preston H wrote:

You have completed 14 jobs.

No, she has not, she has completed 10, only 8 of which had feedback.

Preston H wrote:

Your JSS will not collapse from this.

It absolutely has the potential to tank her JSS brutally. I can not fathom what prompts you to mislead people this way, especially as she had another contract end poorly since the last update.

I wouldn't be surprised if her JSS dropped below the critical 90% mark today, even without her adding another poor outcome.

It is utterly irresponsible to make blanket statements such as "Your JSS will not collapse from this."

He sent me messages everyday about not working or why I don't complete his job.I replied that  he has set the deadline 23th of August and he replied that the deadline is typical and I am slow etc...

So,whatever I am going to do he still is going to give me negative feedback because I was not working his project all day long.

Dimitra K wrote:

So,whatever I am going to do he still is going to give me negative feedback because I was not working his project all day long.

You really need to try and get out of this elegantly if at all possible.

If the client is overstepping boundaries (and it sounds like he is) the trick is to be politely assertive, if that makes sense. Set healthy but firm boundaries and somehow try and get yourself out of this contract, ideally without feedback if positive feedback looks unlikely.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths