🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » [REPORT AN ISSUE] This Has To Stop!
Page options
f186651e
Community Member

[REPORT AN ISSUE] This Has To Stop!

For a couple of weeks now I´ve been seeing this on a daily basis...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Although I don´t have solid proof there´s no doubt in my mind this is the same guy (or group of guys).

Of those "job offers" present a pattern, they all have the same outside link to a Google search result page...

...targeting the same site >

The site is about SEO and it's also obvious to me they implementing a "blackhat" SEO tactic in order to induce clicks.

I often see these job offers appear on my feed around this time and they usually come in bulk.

Thoughts?

15 REPLIES 15
edesignmk
Community Member

In the last couple of weeks, I am seeing also so many fake projects and spam in my industry as well (graphic design). It's not even possible to bid normally, every 3rd or 4th project is spam or fake.  

Well, I don´t know why that happens in your industry unless is the same guy trying to "boost"  the organic rankings of a graphic design site but this used to be a common "blackhat" SEO tactic where people basically spam job portals like Upwork in order to induce clicks from freelancers genuine looking at their job description. 

Imagine if they do this and post the same link 10 times and 20 different people click on the same link and they repeat this on other job portals like fiverr, freelancers, or guru where they don´t have as many filters as Upwork?

And, still, this happens here.

I see it in my industry too, writing. I'm sure Upwork is doing all they possibly can to limit the number of them that get posted and that we are exposed to.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roger, 

Thank you for flagging these job posts. In the future, please don't hesitate to report inappropriate behavior by following the steps here. 

I'll go ahead and forward these to the team for their review and action. 

~ Avery
Upwork
f186651e
Community Member

I am aware of those steps but I am not going to waste any more time reporting 5-10 or even more of those "fake" job offers.

This is why I prefer posting it here making you guys aware and perhaps taking further steps into filtering out those posts.

Perhaps by recognizing matching descriptions? or when the same URL is used repeatedly in the job description? I am sure one of these options can be implemented, especially the URL one.

Cheers!!

I understand completely and agree. I see so many that it just becomes impractical to flag them all. And 5-10? Count yourself lucky. I usually see more than 50 a day.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

It's not going to stop. All you can do is to keep flagging them after they get posted and the damage gets done before they are removed.

f186651e
Community Member

**Edited for community guidelines**

The Headline Hustle attack continues!! 😀😁😂

I wish Upwork was as quick to remove flagged scam an scam posts as they are to remove things here for violating community guidlines. No one ever got scammed for being exposed to these violations, as opposed to the people who have been scammed because it takes so long to take down scam posts.

f186651e
Community Member

Ok, the guy is continuing to spam the job feed for me.

So, I propose the following solution.

Whenever we, as a freelancer, report someone we should have a button (or the option) to block that person...

317c5a74042be49294c20b7af5991ed2

So we no longer have to see any job offer from that person anymore.

I feel this is the best possible solution for this type of situations.

Thoughts?

That would be awesome! Please, please, please do this! True, it wouldn't stop them from being able to post, but it would give each invidual freelancer greater ability in filtering out stuff they don't want to see and not depend on, or expect, Upwork to do it for us. 

INDEED!

I´ve already reported the guy like 5 times and funny, all those 5 times is the exact same job description but from 5 different countries.

Hmm, you'd think a human or an algorithm could detect and prevent those from being posted, if Upwork so desired.

Thanks for your feedback, Roger. 

I've shared this with the team so that they can review and consider this suggested feature. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks for your feedback, Roger. 

I've shared this with the team so that they can review and consider this suggested feature. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members