🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » REPORTING AN ABUSIVE CLIENT
Page options
rebecca_ob
Community Member

REPORTING AN ABUSIVE CLIENT

Hi Upwork,

I have just experienced a very rude client who actually hasn't paid me for previous work done. I respectfully told him I could not accept his work without a funded milestone and he became abusive telling me to F* off. I would like for action to be taken against him as he is violating TOS. He is very impatient and I took an hour to reply to him and he started saying I do not care about his messages. I also do not want him to give me a bad review as I want to end the contract soon after he pays me. i don't want other freelancers to experience this behaviour.

Tried reporting on upwork support but the bot is not helping.

Kindly help. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience, Rebecca.

I'll go ahead and escalate this to our team for their review of your report and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience, Rebecca.

I'll go ahead and escalate this to our team for their review of your report and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

I sincerely hope this is one instance where Upwork stands by the freelancer, and does not allow this client to leave nasty feedback, nor be allowed to stay on this platform. Enough is enough.

Thank you, I just did on one of his messages.

How will I know if action has been taken? Will I need to provide more evidence? I am more concerned with his behavior than the money he hasn't paid me and how to end this contract without hurting my score/profile. 

mtngigi
Community Member

Rebecca O wrote:

Thank you, I just did on one of his messages.

How will I know if action has been taken? Will I need to provide more evidence? I am more concerned with his behavior than the money he hasn't paid me and how to end this contract without hurting my score/profile. 

You won't know - Upwork will not share details of someone else's account. They'll let you know if they need anything. There are jobs and clients where you just have to let go of your JSS worry and move on. As Will suggests, we'd like to know how this ends. There is no excuse for a client's abusive and inappropriate language.

I am not ready to have my JSS compromised because of such a client. He's
still messaging me to go to hell. He has a fairly good rating of 4.6 so his
bad review against me will count. Telling me to let it go and move on is
not a solution, so please help me. Because I also need to give him a fair
review detailing how he has treated me. Surely Upwork must have a way to
deal with this other than telling me to let go. I honestly did nothing to
provoke him except stand by the TOS of Upwork, and I'm the one to suffer!!?
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. I would like to confirm that If one of your clients has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against your Job Success Score. You may read more about it here.

~ Avery
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Rebecca,

Please come back to this board and let us know how this was resolved for you.

This issue was never resolved for me. The client was never suspended and so his bad review against me will lower my score. I think this is unfair for upwork not to do anything when a client is rude like this and let it affect me. I do not feel cared for on this platform as a freelancer and only the client matters to you. 

Rebecca,

Upwork has said that the calculation of freelancers’ Job Success Score will “exclude clients whose freelancers report a history of unreasonable feedback so their scores won't count against you.”

It is possible this client's feedback will be omitted from the calculation of your JSS, but Upwork will never let you know if this is the case.

halimasaadiya
Community Member

I am experiencing the same from another client.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths