Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT badge

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
Lisa M Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
1 of 23

I've been on Upwork for months and have had a Rising Talent badge for almost as long, because I meet all the qualifications. Nothing has changed on my end, except I just got my second job (yes, only my second, after over 100 proposals). The badge was there on Sat. night and gone on Sun. a.m. I submit proposals to many jobs that request this badge, and now, for some mysterious reason it's gone. What's going on?

There was a time a couple of months ago when RT badges were mistakenly removed from many profiles, and I assumed the same thing had happened here, but it's still not back and I'm losing the chance to submit on a lot of jobs.

I asked Customer Service and the drone there simply re-stated the rules of the program and had no answers for me.

voskerchian
Community Guru
Hasmik V Member Since: Aug 12, 2017
2 of 23

Hey Lisa!
First, you can apply for the jobs even if they require being an RT.
I see you have just completed a contract, with no feedback given. The clients are asked to give a feedback that is private as well. Though I am not sure, a low rate may be a reason.
Anyway, no need to give up! Go on, provide great results and you will be eligible to be Top Rated in no time.
Happy Freelancing!

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
3 of 23

Thanks Ace.

I know I can still apply for jobs requesting the badge, but it's pretty pointless, since they'll be looking at dozens of other proposals, so unlikely that they'd consider anyone who doesn't even meet their min. qualifications. I just finished that job yesterday afternoon - haven't heard back from the client and haven't been paid, so no feedback, though I know he was happy with my work. Beginning to wonder if I'll even get paid.

I'm sitting here looking for jobs to submit to because I'm in dire financial straights and Upwork has messed with my ability to get even a one-off project. Really angry and waiting for answers.

voskerchian
Community Guru
Hasmik V Member Since: Aug 12, 2017
4 of 23

That's how we all started. I was never a RT, an account hold, but I got few jobs. When I got my JSS, it was pretty low because of an unfair feedback. Still, after getting my JSS, I was awarded two new projects. My point is, it is not useless to apply for the jobs. Just find the right job, write a great cover letter and make them feel you can fulfill their expectations.

I see you have a good profile, so don't give up and you will have great results!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 23

Why did you end the contract before you were paid?

Lisa M wrote: Upwork has messed with my ability to get even a one-off project. Really angry and waiting for answers.

No, Upwork hasn't. You have.

Contracts that close without feedback negatively affect your metrics if they represent a significant percentage of the whole body of your work. 33% in your case.

Contracts that have been idle for a long time affect your metrics if they represent a significant percentage of the whole body of your work. 33% in your case.

You have at least one of each, and not a single feedback to show for it. so you have 66% negative factors and 33% in progress...

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
6 of 23

OMG, I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I did not end any contract. I completed the job yesterday but haven't heard anything since from the client, though while I was working he was pleased with my work.

And the one that is idle was completed successfully back then - the client was a nice person, happy with my work, but didn't end the contract because he thought he'd have more work for me, but never did. I cannot close it, only he can. I asked 'The Community' about it back then and was told not to worry about it since it was only one job.

I have now messaged yesterday's client to ask him if all was acceptable since I haven't heard from him and also reached out to the client from months ago, asking him to close the contract because the status is apparently affecting my RT status. So hopefully I've taken care of this myself.

Thanks anyway.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 23

undefined:

OMG, I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I did not end any contract. I completed the job yesterday but haven't heard anything since from the client, though while I was working he was pleased with my work.

Well someone closed a contract in the past 4 days....

closed.jpg

And the one that is idle was completed successfully back then - the client was a nice person, happy with my work, but didn't end the contract because he thought he'd have more work for me, but never did. I cannot close it, only he can. I asked 'The Community' about it back then and was told not to worry about it since it was only one job.

If you had dozens of jobs one idle one would not make a difference, but you don't so it does. And obviously both you and the client *can* close the contract. What is stopping you?

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
8 of 23

That was a $10 test edit I did on Fri. for someone who is considering hiring me. Luckily, the client from months ago has responded to my message and closed his contract, so at least I'll get that feedback.

Yesterday's client has not responded to either of my messages yet or closed the contract, so it's possible he got some free editing work. I guess I'll see if anything has changed by tomorrow.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 23

@Lisa M wrote:

That was a $10 test edit I did on Fri. for someone who is considering hiring me. Luckily, the client from months ago has responded to my message and closed his contract, so at least I'll get that feedback.

Yesterday's client has not responded to either of my messages yet or closed the contract, so it's possible he got some free editing work. I guess I'll see if anything has changed by tomorrow.

Why would it be free? Did you not "submit work and request payment" (I'm assuming it was a fixed price contract)? Was the milestone not funded?

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
10 of 23

It was hourly (4 hrs) and I entered time manually. I sent him his papers (4 of them) each time I completed one, because he had a deadline. He seems legit and we exchanged several messages, including him saying "so far, so good," plus he has several other open contracts (though maybe they're open because he hasn't paid on them), so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt until tomorrow.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS