Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT badge

lrmessing
Ace Contributor
Lisa M Member Since: Apr 11, 2017
21 of 23

Thanks so much for the info, Samantha - I appreciate it. So it's best to only take fixed-rate jobs, is that right? I guess I don't understand how, if you want to charge an hourly rate, your time is accounted for, so I did it manually.

I don't want to suggest that he scammed me. I am just very confused by his complete lack of response/disappearance after receiving the last paper. It didn't seem like a normal thing for a person to do. Not a word from him, which surprised and unnerved me. But I've moved on, because I've been submitting proposals all day and just had a response from someone.

Thanks for not being judgy and lectury, and just being helpful. 🙂

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 23

@Lisa M wrote:

Thanks so much for the info, Samantha - I appreciate it. So it's best to only take fixed-rate jobs, is that right? I guess I don't understand how, if you want to charge an hourly rate, your time is accounted for, so I did it manually.

I don't want to suggest that he scammed me. I am just very confused by his complete lack of response/disappearance after receiving the last paper. It didn't seem like a normal thing for a person to do. Not a word from him, which surprised and unnerved me. But I've moved on, because I've been submitting proposals all day and just had a response from someone.

Thanks for not being judgy and lectury, and just being helpful. 🙂

You're supposed to use the time tracker, which you can see in the link that Petra already provided you. There's no need to only take on fixed-rate jobs if you use the tools Upwork provides you and learn how the system works before jumping in to a contract.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 23

@Lisa M wrote:

So it's best to only take fixed-rate jobs, is that right? 

Not necessarily. I work a mix of fixed-price and hourly contracts, myself. Which one is best for a particular project depends on the work, how long it will take, how it will be paced, whether/how often the client needs to weigh in, and not least, how firmly and precisely the scope of the projct can be defined.

On hourly contracts, I log all of my hours manually. On both writing and research jobs, I migrate among multiple screens and also spend considerable time away from the keyboard, so the UW time tracker doesn't work well. I have my own little ways to track my time on everything--fixed-price and hourly work, UW projects and other jobs. It's just good housekeeping, whether it has to be reported to someone else or not.

That said, I am very careful about the hourly contracts I accept here, especially with new clients. I feel confident doing it at all only because I have many years of experience working in consulting firms and then on my own.

I don't want to suggest that he scammed me. I am just very confused by his complete lack of response/disappearance after receiving the last paper. It didn't seem like a normal thing for a person to do. Not a word from him, which surprised and unnerved me.

Didn't you indicate, at some point, that it had only been a couple of days? That's really not long enough to become alarmed. The fact that you reacted so strenuously after that short time interval suggests you are a relatively inexperienced freelancer. Also, it became clear pretty early on that you had not spent the time to familiarize yourself with the fundamentals of how contracts and payment processes work here. All of that tends to elicit more instructive feedback from members of this community than you were looking for. You find it off-putting to be lectured. Some of us find it off-putting to hear the same questions over and over, every week, from people who haven't bothered to do any of the assigned reading! That (IMO) accounts for the "judgy" vibe that you're picking up on.

The dozen or so most active participants in this forum probably have, collectively, several hundred years' worth of freelance success. There's a wealth of helpful insights and advice here. If you want to make money here, then do your homework, by which I mean read everything UW makes available about how the platform works and how to use it. Milk the forum for all it's worth: avoid being defensive, and resist the impulse to argue or resist when people are offering helpful (if sometimes brusque) feedback. 

Another lecture, I know! If you're still with me, then I have one more quick point. It's not necessarily obvious, but you should be aware that this forum is not just a conversation among freelancers--clients are here, too, listening and often participating. We are in a global marketplace, for sure, but sometimes it can be a small world. (I have lost track of how many people I've encountered on the client side of UW with whom I have 2nd or 3rd stage LinkedIn connections.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS