Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Racism in the job posting

Highlighted
Saurabh K Member Since: Jan 26, 2016
1 of 12

Hello,

I think Upwork should not allow these posts that blatantly promote racism.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Regards,

Saurabh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 12

What is the difference between saying "no indians" and saying "indians only?" I don't see many people complain when someone specifies a region but complaints when someone wants to exclude a region? Makes no sense.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
3 of 12

Report this "client" from Ukraine to CS, the link will be deleted soon. Better than opening a second thread. Moreover, he will never hire anybody on Upwork neither from India nor from elsewhere. No verified payment method since 2014 and no hire. All details of the job offer only via Skype! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

The funny part is that the job poster will be forced to remove the "no indians" text, and then post the job without the text. Jokes on the OP because now a bunch of Indians will waste their connects. It's not like the guy is gonna have an epiphany and start hiring Indians.

I'd rather know instead of forcing people not to post this type of stuff in their job posts. Of course, a slick job poster can say "no indians" without actually saying it. I've seen these job posts before.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 12

This incident reveals two different things which should be taken separately.

The first thing is, the post will be axed, this client obviously doesn't get Upwork at all. And his way to put things doesn't deserve a second look.

Then, clients may have preferences, and there is nothing wrong with this. I don't know if this is the case on Upwork, but if my memory serves me well, Elance's clients were given the opportunity to seek applicants from some areas.

On issue here is the over-representation of unprofessional people from some countries, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, which reflects poorly on real professionals from this area. I would understand a client who, after having been burnt by one of those clowns, would choose to avoid them at all costs. The sharp wording this client used is probably not appropriate. But anything else even better put would still have conveyed the same idea: no Indians.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
6 of 12

It is no problem to add that you prefer freelancers from a certain region or country or only people with native language knowledge in a certain language. That is helpful for both sides and not discriminating against anybody. Recently I have seen a job offer with German language knowledge that interested me. Then I read that the person for whatever reason has to live in UK. So I abstained from applying.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 12

I did a quick google and couldn't find any Upwork regulation prohibiting discriminatory job posts. Regardless, if you came across a job that specified no homosexuals, no christians, no women, no people of color, etc, whatever form of discrimination you disapprove of, how would you flag the job? Because none of the existing choices for Flag as inappropriate fit, as you can see in the screenshot below.

flag.png 

Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 12

It's in Client Policies:

2. Job Posts

Great work begins with a great job post. Effective posts are professional, written in English, and accurately describe the services requested.

All job posts must adhere to these policies:

• Posts may not share or solicit direct contact information prior to interview.
  • Jobs must be free of offensive language and advertisements.
  • Posting the same job multiple times is prohibited.
  • Requesting a service that is illegal or violates intellectual property rights, copyrights or the terms of service of another service, product or website is prohibited.
  • Requesting free work of any kind is prohibited, including contests in which freelancers submit work with no to very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount.
  • Requesting a fee in order to apply or bid is strictly prohibited.
  • Jobs may not transmit any content related to or containing any adult or sexually explicit material.
  • Requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity is prohibited.
  • Jobs must be free of spammy content.
  • Job posts should not express any preference or otherwise discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military/veteran status or any basis protected by applicable law.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
9 of 12

@Rene Nicely put and accurate.  Because of that, I avoid entire parts of the world for varying reasons.  On the one hand there are those countries where, as you said, there is too much fraud and entire businesses are built on fraud.  Then there are other countries that do not pay well.  So there is no point in bidding.  Finally there are certain cultures with which I have had communication problems.  They do not speak up and say what they want or tell you that something is bothering them.  So when the bill comes they do not pay. In some countries it is considered bad form to speak up with the correct answer when one's boss has a different answer.  

If I lived in one of those countries with fraud I would be mad that my fellow countrymen are damaging business for the rest of them.  The good guys should form some kind of business association to which you can only be a member if you can demonstrate certain quality indicators. Then they could list that on their Upwork profile.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 12

Jennifer asked earlier, "What is the difference between saying "no indians" and saying "indians only?" I don't see many people complain when someone specifies a region but complaints when someone wants to exclude a region? Makes no sense."

None. So if you see a job like that, you should report it if you find it inappropriate. Especially given that India has 23 official languages, it can't be justified as specifying a language preference.