🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Radio silence from a client
Page options
tellemonstar
Community Member

Radio silence from a client

Hi everyone,

I have a situtation where I'm not really sure what the etiquette is, and would like some advice.

I agreed to do a (paid) test-piece to see if I was the type of writer the client wanted. I submutted my test piece and after discussing a few things I wasn't sure about, was given the opportunity to resubmit with a couple of changes. I did so. That was on November 18, 2020.

I heard nothing from them at all. I was okay wth them not communicating over the holiday peroid, but I contacted them on January 20, 2021 and asked where things stood, and told them I understod if I wasn't who they were looking for. I still haven't heard back. I don't want to close the contract if it means I don't get paid, but I'm not sure what else I should do.

So do I dispute, close or wait?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richardrader
Community Member

For this paid test did you have a contract? If so simply clcik the submit work button. If they don't respond you will get paid in 14 days.

If this paid test was done without setting up a contract, there is nothing you can do but to wait for a response which seems unlikely since so much time has passed by. You should always have a contract before working to avoid the possibility of not getting paid for your work. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
richardrader
Community Member

For this paid test did you have a contract? If so simply clcik the submit work button. If they don't respond you will get paid in 14 days.

If this paid test was done without setting up a contract, there is nothing you can do but to wait for a response which seems unlikely since so much time has passed by. You should always have a contract before working to avoid the possibility of not getting paid for your work. 

I only do work through contracts. I will just close it and get it out of my list. Thanks.

Don't close it just yet. There is a button to submit work that you need to click in order to get paid. Once the 14 days passed you will get paid. Then feel free to close the contract.
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Radio silence from a client"

Clients are not required to respond to freelancers.

re: "I agreed to do a (paid) test-piece to see if I was the type of writer the client wanted. I submutted my test piece and after discussing a few things I wasn't sure about, was given the opportunity to resubmit with a couple of changes. I did so. That was on November 18, 2020."

Did you do what I do?

Click the green "Submit Work" button?

If you did that, and then the client did NOTHING, then you received all of the payment about two and a half months ago.

All you need to do is click that button.

Don't send any other messages.

I don't even send a single message. I just click the button.

The button automatically invites the client to ask for any changes if they need changes, and it automatically informs the client that the work is done.

re: "So do I dispute, close or wait?"

Why would you file a dispute?

You click a button.

The client doesn't want anything else.

You get paid for all the work that you did.

It's over.

If you did NOT ALREADY click that button as soon as you finished your assignment, then you used Upwork incorrectly. But you CAN STILL click the button. Then wait until the money arrives into your account. And then close the contract.

Thanks for your opinions Preston.

Thank you man @Preston
petra_r
Community Member

Chantelle M wrote:

I don't want to close the contract if it means I don't get paid, but I'm not sure what else I should do.

Why did you never submit the work for payment? That is how you are supposed to submit, and you get paid 14 days later automatically if the client vanishes.

What is strange is that the contract is still open, as it should have been closed due to inactivity by now.

In future, submit work through the "Submit for Payment" function on the contract, because that is the intended workflow.

Chantelle M wrote:

So do I dispute, close or wait?

There is nothing to dispute. Submit for payment and wait out the 14 days.

276ebd9a
Community Member

Don't close it, but wait a little longer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members