cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise the minimum wage

Clara A Member Since: Jul 30, 2014
1 of 7
My minimum rate is 10 dollars an hour which is what I need to survive where I live. I am losing jobs to people asking for horribly low amounts and are willing to earn 3 or 4 dollars an hour and I am so frustrated. Does any one else have this problem?
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 7
You obviously can't compete on price, so you need to compete on quality instead. Advertise yourself (and prove yourself) better at a certain niche take tests, add portfolio items and good feedback to show it. Then look for jobs that have a higher budget more suited to what you're worth - they are there, it just takes some trudging through the crap to find them.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 7
I do know the feeling, Clara. Some freelancers say that $3/$4 ph is enough for them to live on in some parts of the world. As Stephen said, you have to thoroughly search through the crap to find the better contracts.
Clara A Member Since: Jul 30, 2014
4 of 7
The thing is even if 3 dollars is enough for people in some parts of the world it isn't for me. I need to make a living just as much and I cannot do so on those measly wages. 3 dollars an hour is slave labour. What really bothers me is that western companies are willing to pay people those wages. I apply so much and I always seem to lose out to some person willing to work for nothing.
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
5 of 7
I understood your original point. The point I was trying to make is that there will always be people who are willing to work for those lower rates. Yes, I agree that those in Western countries should know better.
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
6 of 7
Yes , I think Stephen and Gillian gave you a great advice plus, I would add, you need a different intro on your profile page. Instead of giving the info on your ethnicity and family history, try to focus more on showcasing your professional expertize and defining the niche where you can excel.Although I agree genuinely with everything that you said about low pricing and annoying job ads, you can't expect that somebody will hire you just because you are American without clearly defined , professional presentation that emphasizes your best professional qualities. Also, you may try to concentrate on jobs that specifically require US citizens,due to geographical location and special requirements(calls by the phone from virtual office in US, access to the products that you can research or buy from US territory solely ,wish to support the domestic workforce,and so forth...)People who work for 2 USD are not really to blame here-they either live in dire circumstances ,don't have any self-confidence or they don't know better-which calls for sympathy rather than condemnation. The solution is to develop more specialized skills that will set you apart from the rest of the bunch and make you almost indispensable.Or also to consider prequalification for the job that requires higher skill-set and therefore, competition is traditionally not so large or, if it is large-it is not unfair .Meaning -everybody still keeps the high prices so you compete on the quality solely -like programming,developing e.g.
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
7 of 7
Looking at your profile, I see you are bidding mostly on Data Entry and Web Research projects. Maybe you need to focus more on your strength which I see are Translation projects. Data Entry and Web Research are among the few which are generally in the $3 to $5/hr projects and some do bid even lower.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS