cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising my rates

bell-murraysan28
Sandra B Member Since: Jan 17, 2018
1 of 5

Hello there, I'm still relatively new to Upwork. I've completed 11 jobs in the past 4 months, all but one on a project basis rather than an hourly rate. Most of my clients are offering me repeat work so that's gratifying. I'm now at a point where I want to increase my rates. Looking into freelance writing rates, it appears I should be aiming for 8 to 10 cents per word. So far, I'm down around 3 to 4 cents. I have more work anticipated from 2 clients and will encourage them to pay higher before I enter into an agreement. Any advice folks have on either the rate or strategy or both would be invaluable! Thanks in advance. Also, I certainly would like more hourly assignments but they seem less frequent?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

1. Make sure your existing contracts are closed and the client's review submitted before you discuss a rate hike with them.  

2. You will usually need to seek out new clients when shifting rates rather than increase rates with existing ones (not always, but usually). 

3. Clients who are using content to generate traffic for their websites see freelance writers as an expense--every extra penny costs them profit. So they are likely to prefer a fixed price so that they know in advance just what their expenses are going to be. 

4. The higher your fees, the more likely you are to encounter clients who are invested in producing quality content and paying for it. 

ETA: I noticed that you don't have any work samples on your profile. If you have some written work that you can add that might help you demonstrate your skill level. You don't need paid work to share on your profile. You can assign yourself a topic and write something. 

View solution in original post

bell-murraysan28
3 of 5

Thanks so much for the advice Tonya! 'Very helpful.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 5

Put the higher rate you think your new clients should pay on your profile. That creates an "anchor" for their expectations and the ones who think it's too high will self select and not contact you.

Any new client who sees your great examples of work on your profile and contacts you will have seen that number and expect to pay that rate (or maybe a bit less with some bargaining?).

You could also tell existing clients you'll be raising your rates as of January 1st. If you've done a great job for them at what they know to have been a low rate, the good ones won't carp at paying closer to the market rate for your type of services.

bell-murraysan28
5 of 5

Thanks Will - makes good sense!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS