cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Rant about Rising Star qualification.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ivana P Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
1 of 16

I apologize if I'm gonna offend anyone with this.

What the hell is going on with the Rising Star qualification? 99.9% of jobs are requiring that the freelancer has to be a Rising Star. I'm not, because I've been working here for a couple of years. I don't mind the Risings stars, you go guys.

What I mind is the fact that clients don't have a clue what that means and they keep requesting it on the proposals. What I mind is the fact that when we apply to those jobs, Upwork does not show us as the recommended freelancers, but pushes us somwehere way down the list.

What I mind is the fact that from let's say 20 proposals I sent this month, I didn't get interviewed once, because 20 of those proposals were meant for Rising Stars.

What I mind is the fact that I can rarely find a proposal that requires a Top Rated freelancer or no qualification for status.

All of that leading to the fact that I can't get a single job, even though my feedbacks are good, even though my portfolio is smashing, even though I'm sending a non generic cover letter AND attaching letters of recommendations from my previous employers.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 16

Hi Ivana,

I understand you're frustrated by not getting responses to your recent proposals, but I don't think that the number of proposals you've submitted represents a sufficient sample to base any conclusion on. In addition, the activity decreases over the summer months so you still might hear back from these clients.

I disagree that the number of jobs with a Rising Talent preference trumps those with a Top Rated one. All the job posts have been recently defaulted to include both of these preferences, allowing further customization by the client.

If you take a look at other threads you'll see some Rising Talent freelancers feeling overshadowed by those with a Job Success Score, a few new users having the same concern regarding those with a Rising Talent badge, a couple of posts from freelancers whose Job Success Score is below 90% etc. At the same time, there are users from all of these groups that are having success and winning jobs on Upwork. I'm sure that if you keep submitting tailored proposals on jobs that fit your skillset perfectly, tweaking your profile and building your portfolio, you'll soon start receiving responses from clients.

Finally, I'd like to remained you to keep in mind our Community Guidelines when posting in the Community forums.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ivana P Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
3 of 16

Vladimir, don't get me wrong, but do you personally use Upwork also as a platform to land projects or are you just working for them? It's kinda ugrateful to be telling me as a freelancer about "sufficient samples" to base any conclusions on in regards to my proposals.

Why don't you open up a working profile here and try to land jobs that pay your bills solely on Upwork? Let us know how that went for ya and how many applications you used up before you realized that you're gonna have to go somewhere else. Then we can talk about sufficient samples.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 16

Hi Ivana,

I understand your frustration but would like to ask you to refer to the comments from my post, as I haven't put forth myself or any other individual freelancer as an argument or example. I don't mind being discussed but I'm just opposed to ad hominem arguments. As for my personal experience, this is my fifth year on Upwork (Elance as well) as a freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 16

"Ungrateful??????"

Why should Vlad be grateful to you?

That Rising Talent preference is "Rising Talent or Top Rated" - so if you are either one it includes you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 16

Ivana, Tam did exactly what you're suggesting Vladmir should do (even though Vladimir is already doing it). He shared his experience and it's well-worth a read. I think it's one of the best things I've ever seen come out of the Community forums. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Update-on-Tam-s-progress-in-the-marketplace/m-p/224826#...

I must point out that nowhere on this platform does it say anyone is guaranteed to be able to "pay all their bills" via income earned here. It's always wise to diversify, to go after other work off-platform. The saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket" applies perfectly in this case. There are many of us here who are successful on Upwork, but who also secure work off-platform. If Upwork were to go out of business tomorrow I wouldn't want to have all my freelance eggs in this one basket. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 16

@Ivana P wrote:

Vladimir, don't get me wrong, but do you personally use Upwork also as a platform to land projects or are you just working for them? It's kinda ugrateful to be telling me as a freelancer about "sufficient samples" to base any conclusions on in regards to my proposals.

Why don't you open up a working profile here and try to land jobs that pay your bills solely on Upwork? Let us know how that went for ya and how many applications you used up before you realized that you're gonna have to go somewhere else. Then we can talk about sufficient samples.

uh ok. We can take Vlad out of it and you can go at me. I make Upwork work for me. It pays 90% of dem bills and of course those extras like that time I had roots growing in my toilet plumbing and those $150/hour plumbers wanted $500 from yer girl Jennifer and I was like how am I gonna pay for this? And I thought of Upwork and their IRL gold and I pwnd it and made some IRL gold and put it in my bank and then this happened all thanks to Upwork.

gross-plumbing.jpg 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
8 of 16

THAT HAPPENED IN YOUR PIPES?

Upwork rules. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 16

i no rite????????

Last week the plumbers told me $500 cuz that's what was wrong. Upwork's IRL gold pulled that out of my toilet. I feel violated by roots tbh.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 16

@Ivana P wrote:

Why on earth would someone try to pay their bills solely on Upwork?

Don't get me wrong--it's clearly possible if that's what you choose to do--but relying solely on one outlet doesn't seem like a smart business decision regardless of how well it's going.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS