cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate Tip

i_pokorny
Ioan Anton P Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
1 of 3

I keep seeing Rate Tips that are even $10-20 higher than my current hourly rate. 

Is there any actual point or give any Kudos for the client in the proposal lists for going with that much higher rate and risking getting completely dismissed because of the price? (whilst having my regular rate listed on profile)

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 3

Hello, Mr. Ioan Anton.

To keep things simple, stop with the attitude of "I live in Romania so I *must* ask for lower rates". If you are good, you are good and that's the end of the story.

Ask $50/hour or more and leave the lower rates to others.

Besides, Romanian developers are one of the best in the world and there's absolutely no reason they shouldn't be paid at least 75% of what Westerners make. Why? Just because rents are lower? Cause everything else (electricity, gas, food, electronics) has the same or higher price. Yeah, you can find cheaper shoes in Romania, but you'll throw them out in 3 months because they'll get torn.

I just read that 'web developers' now do not accept contracts until they do the project so that they'll only get extraordinary feedback. Even if it means working for free. They know they are bad and do everything they can to fool the system.

If that's not enough proof, then, out of the 260,000 PHP developer profiles on this website, only 30,000 (about 12%) made more than $100 (yeah, one hundred dollars aka 420 RON). So, yeah, don't think about yourself as just anyone.

View solution in original post

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 3

Gabriel, if ONLY the qualified professionals would take your words to heart - "To keep things simple, stop with the attitude of "I live in Romania so I *must* ask for lower rates". If you are good, you are good and that's the end of the story.

"To keep things simple, stop with the attitude of "I live in Romania so I *must* ask for lower rates". If you are good, you are good and that's the end of the story.

Ask $50/hour or more and leave the lower rates to others."

U. would be vastly improved; client satisfaction rate increased manifold, and U's, clients, and providers image and bank account improved.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS