cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rate of pay

Highlighted
Lianda M Member Since: Jan 23, 2015
1 of 7

I would like to hear frrom other freelances who do what I do.  I usually work for people who seem to be publishing ebooks.  I do research on a subject and then write an original text.....I feel that I should be earning much more than I am but I search diligently for jobs but none of them offer anywhere near what I feel I should earn ($15per hour).  I must be doing something wrong because I realize the job I have just finished earned me $1 per hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
2 of 7

Linda, thats the catch for fixed priced project.

Odeks is a very competitive place. You will find other freelancers working at much lower rates.
It’s the problem we all face. Good thing is oDesk has implemented a lowest $3/hr rate.
That is something to save the day but not good enough tho.

I guess they should have rate limits depending on the job category.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
3 of 7

Hi Lianda

I am from a different field than yours but I think it is very important that you apply to the jobs that you are comfortable with. Do not let clients dictate the policies and budget.Even if it is a fixed price job, be clear about what where you will draw a line about revisions. To get around, I actively use the odesk job search filters like minimum hourly rate and sorting clients according to "Most Dollars paid". Do not waste time applying to the low paid jobs and spend more time on your cover letter when you apply for ones that are a good match for your rates. Having said that, you will find that most of the job postings are not well paid. This is mainly because somewhere down the road odesk got marketed as a place to find talent at a low price (I once read a business plan where the author explained that you can get really low valued articles at odesk and then sell it to other websites for profit). Your strategy should be to showcase your experience and quality of work. May be adding work history and portfolio items to your profile will help.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
4 of 7

I'm not from the same field as yours, but there are still many great clients out there (and also many cheapskates and fraudsters.) The problem is that great clients usually tend to work with same freelancers they already worked with ,so it seemingly looks like there are fewer of them (and usually  they don't post for new jobs as much as others because they don't have a high workforce turnover.)

The recipe is  quite simple: do not work for the rate that you are not comfortable with and keep searching. Eventually you 'll lend that great client(s) and they 'll keep coming back to you. Keep searching! If you don't find them , then still- it is better to be without gig or to explore other job opportunities than to work for something that is just not doable for you (or for anybody else for that matter.)

Also clients who pay low rates  tend to scam, create problems etc-which shouldn't come as surprise because after all they valued freelancer's time and skills so little initially.

Also -do not filter jobs by how much client has spent on oDesk-it doesn't mean a thing! Client can have more than 50 000 USD spent on 10 000  freelancers who all worked for 1 USD/hour each (which is, to me,  a huge red flag!) On the other hand, you can have a client who spent just 800 USD  but ,for example, for one e-book of 8000 words. Just use common sense, follow your instinct and you 'll be fine.

Highlighted
5 of 7

Thanks for useful input.  I DID 6 jobs for the same guy last year...each one better than the last.  Although he was very complimentary and gave me a tiny bonus each time, even he after 6 really good deliveries, did not seem to realise how much he was underpaying me......IT IS MY FAULT I know... and I am changing my ways this year.  Better to sit and read myself or walk the dog than slog soooo hard for only personal satisfaction....stay well

Highlighted
6 of 7

Thank you...very good advice...will implement...........

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 7
Linda, you may not realize it, but the simple six-sentence original post you wrote which began this thread could very well be used as the abstract for a genuinely excellent college economics course.

For the most part, your question doesn't really have anything to do with oDesk, per se, but is more a question about How The World Works.

Other posters in this thread have provided some good practical advice in response to your question. As for myself, I will simply thank you for providing food for thought.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS