cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rating Dropped due to inactive Job???????

josheanes
Joshua E Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
1 of 5

Some of my clients prefer to keep jobs open to make it easier to hire me in the future. I just watch my rating drop one percentage point because of an inactive job. The client loves the service I provide them and they were upset about this when I told them what happened. 

Is there any possibility of this being changed?

I'm guessing the same thing happens if the job is paused because Upwork automatically pauses jobs that are inactive after a while. 

IMO, this is a flaw in the Upwork system. If the client loves my work and gives me nothing but 5 stars, I shouldn't be penalised without the client actually taking an action to dock my rating. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

A lot of freelancers feel that way, but Upwork has its reasons for doing it this way and has repeatedly said there are no plans to change this aspect of the algorithm.

How have you determined what caused the drop in your score? 

There's only one job on your profile old enough to have possibly dinged you for inactivity, and only if it's been inactive longer than it was active.

View solution in original post

josheanes
Joshua E Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
3 of 5

When my score dropped, I had all 5 star ratings and all clients were happy. I dropped from 100% to 99% and couldn't figure out why. 

How long do we have with inactive jobs before our ratings drop?

And I have since been getting in touch with my inactive clients and politely asking them to end the job because Upwork docks me for inactivity. I've had to do this with 4 clients now and all 4 clients are like "WHAT??? How crazy"

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Joshua,

It's very easy for your clients to access your profile in their Past Hires and re-hire you. If they don't plan on using the contract they have with you for a while, you can ask them to close it and re-hire you when needed.

~ Valeria
Upwork
r3wt
Community Leader
Garrett M Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
5 of 5

You're talking to a brick wall. your comments are neither respected nor are they are welcomed. You may as well shat into your own hands, as this would produce more results for you personally than will complaining in this forum. 

The purpose of the penalty for inactive jobs is to incentivize freelancers into only maintaining contracts they are actively making money on, keeping the profits rolling in for upwork. like every other corporation, they only care about their profit. whatever decisions they make towards that end, they will have the marketing team make more pallatable for the users of the platform. no use in complaining to them, they don't give a **bleep**.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS