Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ratings before Job Completion

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
1 of 5

Is there any mechanism for clients to provide ratings before a contract is closed? I've only been here for about a month and have picked up five jobs, three of which are ongoing (one hourly and one fixed price per item). The ongoing jobs look to be long-term relationships in which those contracts aren't likely to be closed out any time soon, so I'm wondering if there is any way to get feedback posted from those clients, or if only the one-off jobs will show up in star ratings.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
2 of 5

I believe only closed contacts can receive feedback. I've been here for a few months now but I only have 2 contracts with feedback. The rest of mine are long-term so I still don't even have a JSS. It seems a little strange that 'job satisfaction' is not measured by the success of a long-term ongoing contract, but it doesn't seem like they plan on changing that any time soon.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Tiffany,

Lisa is correct and feedback can only be given by both parties once the contract is closed.

I would like to note though that long-term contracts and repeat clients do contribute positively to the Job Success score, and you can find the percentage of your long-term clients on My Stats page.

Please, check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 5

Tiffany,

You might consider doing an administrative closure on long-term jobs on a quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis. You could present this to clients in terms of Upwork's requirements or your own business management. This might also give you an opportunity to update or upgrade job descriptions when you start the "new" contracts.

In choosing a time period, be sure to check out Valeria's link so you get credit both for long-term contracts and any feedback, and don't get dinged for open but dormant contracts. Also keep in mind that long-term clients may be disinclined to leave feedback for every closure you initiate.

Best,

Michael

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 5

Thank you, Valeria & Douglas.

Your responses raised one more question that wasn't answered by Valeria's link or a search of the help section.

At what point is a contract considered inactive or dormant? 

One client wants to keep our contract open and assign articles as needed.  If that will have a negative impact, I can close the contract and ask him to start a new one for each article, but I can see where that would be inconvenient for a client, so I'm trying to find the right balance between accommodating the ease of just adding a new milestone as needed and the possible negative impact if weeks sometimes pass between new tasks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS