cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Disappointed with Odesk Freelancers, Time wasted

hjerame
Jerame H Member Since: Apr 25, 2014
1 of 6
We hired freelancer ** who works for **. Not only didn't they honor our contract. it took longer and cost us more money that expected. Long story short we had to rehire someone local. The problem is we have faith in sites like Odesk to enhance our business. But if Odesk isn't assuring that their freelancers are legit. Odesk site just become a shady fraudulent site in which we tell are friend, colleagues and family to stay away from. I did sign up to get taken Odesk. Horrible service. *"Removed by admin"
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 6
Well, you get what you pay for, don't you ? Maybe if you'd offered a higher rate, you'd have got a better standard of freelancer. It seems to me that the biggest whingers on odesk are always the ones who pay about $ 1.00 an hour.
dinijaskowski
Dini J Member Since: Jun 28, 2009
3 of 6
[quote=Ramon Battershall]Well, you get what you pay for, don't you ? Maybe if you'd offered a higher rate, you'd have got a better standard of freelancer. It seems to me that the biggest whingers on odesk are always the ones who pay about $ 1.00 an hour.[/quote] I am a freelancer and a client/Agency Contractor you need to the one that is responsible for checking out who you hire. On my profile on oDesk is an open book with every tool you need to verify that I am who I say I am. You need to take responsibility. Please answer this question. Why do you think freelancers need you to decide what clients the freelancer should work for? Are the clients so brain-dead that you need to interfere on matching the freelancer to the client? Does oDesk know the needs of the clients business better than the client does? The responsibility of hiring and firing belongs to the individual client.
e_gan
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
4 of 6
I'm one of the many or few genuine hardworking and honest freelancers on here, and so far all of my clients have said the same and gave 5 star ratings. Now, here's my assumed scenario resulting to a negative experience: 1. When you pay a freelancer because of his/her LOW RATES, YOU REAP SHABBY work most of the time. 2. If their rating scores are low or none, YOU RISK getting shabby work in return. 3. If the freelancers show INITIAL SIGNS of yes to everything and prolonged replies, RED FLAG. So chin up, move on and BE CAUTIOUS finding the right one, yes it can be frustrating find a gem in a sandpit but avoid suspicious profiles. I as a freelancer find it tedious scouting genuine clients, we're all taking risks here with hopes.
msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
5 of 6
I'm not totally sure if I will agree with you. While I'm raising an eyebrow to those who expect the Milky Way for a dollar, not all those who advertise double-digit rates are worth their weight in gold. It happened to one client I've got -- so we did a split test; client hired someone with a rate 3x less vs. someone who's a local and make them do the same set of tasks. Turned out that in a week's time, we've got more ROI from the one with the lower rate. I think there are many factors that come into play when choosing who to trust for your project and one telltale sign from our experiment is that the one with the lower rate is more responsive and cooperative than the one with the higher rate. At least, this helped my client avoid 'costly' mistake.
e_gan
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
6 of 6
I do agree, I know someone starting off with low rates and did amazing work, kept within budget etc and because of her first quality reputation, she was re-hired and gained further job opportunities. If only oDesk implements a policy or act upon complaints by blocking / removing dishonest freelancers.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS