cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ebay

elaine_lynch
Active

Hi Guys

I have a guy that has payment cleared on Upwork. He wants me to list tools on ebay...My ebay account. But he does want payments into MY Paypal account then i pay the 10% ebay fees, then take 5% commission and send him the rest....Would you guys think this is ok?? I am new to Upwork, I have sent lots of proposals but not had any work as yet so I am still a little unsure whats good and whats not at the moment.. Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
versailles
Community Guru

Stop seeking for work right now.

Go to the help section and read it all. Once you do this read this forum for already given tips and advice against scams.

Then come back and seek work. This will prevent you to be banned from Upwork for accepting payment off-platform, eBay to close your account for fraud and cops to call you to talk about it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Guru

No! No, no, no no! Elaine, when are you going to read all Upwork's rules and regs, to say nothing of the help pages for new freelancers?

This is not OK and it breaks every Upwork rule and you risk having your account suspended. What you must do is to report this client ASAP to customer services and hopefully, they will take care of it.

pandoraharper
Community Guru

This is scam. On more than one front, even.

Never, ever accept payment outside of Upwork.

There is a great thread about these jobs (and how to avoid them) here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/td-p/21467

csjarmitage
Community Guru

This isn't okay.  Report the job to customer service and end all communication with the "client".  The least of your worries will be losing your Upwork account and your eBay account.  These guys are always looking for another account to trash.  

There are two things you should always remember.  Never accept money off the Upwork platform and never work without a contract showing in your "My Jobs" tab.

Edit: Man you guys type fast!

versailles
Community Guru

Upwork, you really need to set a mandatory test for newcomers with questions aimed to check if future Upworkers have read the help section, the terms of service, and if they have understood it all.

As long as this test is not successfully completed, they should not be allowed to send a single proposal. I'm saying because I'm getting tired of doing your job, and many others are tired too.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

In the good old oDesk days, this test was mandatory.  The problem is that the answers to the test are all over the Internet, so the questions would have to be changed on a daily basis to be effective.

Elaine:

EVEN IF Upwork didn't have any rules banning this kind of eBay work...

(and for the the record, Upwork DOES have rules against it...)

...but even if they didn't, you would not want to mess around with it. There's no money to be made there. The only thing you would end up doing is getting your eBay account terminated, getting ripped off by scammers, and getting into all kinds of trouble.

There are many people who honestly, legitimately earn good money using eBay. But there are also many scoundrels. No good is going to come to you if somebody wants you to use your account on their behalf like this.

mtngigi
Community Guru

How did any of this sound legit to you? How?

If you're "unsure", stop bidding on jobs and read up on everything Rene suggested you read up on. OMG

elaine_lynch
Active

Thankyou guys. Yes i think i will be sitting down tomorrow and reading a bit more so i know and understand more about what is good and what is not.

Thanks again

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS