Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: new to odesk

aneeqa64
aneeqa b Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
1 of 8
Hi,
I am also new. Should I give my contact detailsin my cover letter at the beginning just like normal cover letter? I really need help
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 8

No, you'll either be scammed or kicked off yourself by odesk . Keep all communication within odesk until you gain experience as there'll be lots of people trying to take advantage of you for a while.

methulz
Ace Contributor
Bruno C Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
3 of 8

Hi aneeqa and welcome!

Pretty much what Ramon said.

As you probably noticed, oDesk has a message system, there is no need to provide your contact information in your cover letter. And trust me, that will not make the difference if you are hired or not.

Just make sure you read the job description and always write a personalised cover letter for every job, showing the client why you are a perfect fit for that job.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Bruno.

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 8

Actually, you are now allowed to include contact details in your cover letter.

According to Valeria: "I would like to inform you about the recent update in the policies regarding sharing contact information. It is now allowed for oDesk freelancers to include personal contact information in their application and cover letter."

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Can-I-forwar-my-client-to-my-portfolio-outside-oDesk/m-p/7...

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
5 of 8

@David G wrote:

Actually, you are now allowed to include contact details in your cover letter.

According to Valeria: "I would like to inform you about the recent update in the policies regarding sharing contact information. It is now allowed for oDesk freelancers to include personal contact information in their application and cover letter."

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Can-I-forwar-my-client-to-my-portfolio-outside-oDesk/m-p/7...

I was going to post this as I had posted previously that you shouldn't, and although oDesk seems to think it is alright I think it is opening up a can of worms to get spammed to death sending personal email or contact info through your coverletter to begin with and also making it easier for those who are going to be deceptive about hiring off of Odesk, but just my two cents worth. I think you are better protected using the messaging system as a newbie to protect yourself, and we have seen way to many times where someone took a job and they were interviewed off odesk and then weren't really hired and then didn't get paid. I am not stating to not give out contact info for skype or other after you have been invited to interview, but I think one is setting themselves up sending this info before you are invited. 

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 8

How come Valeria announced this in a sideline to a forum post, and not in a dedicated post in the Announcements section?

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 8

Good advice Suzanne, thanks for sharing. Yes, while you can now share your contact information as part of your proposal/cover letter, we still recommend keeping what dialogue you can in the Message Center, particularly prior to the interview. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
8 of 8

Thanks for the link David. It is good to keep up with the changes.

I also support Suzanne about keeping the policy as is, regarding contact information. I cannot see any benefits to be derived from such a move prior to an interview. There is greater potential for may negative spin-offs.

After all, this part of the system was working well as is.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS