🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re-open Contract Ended by Inactivity
Page options
nostalgeek5555
Community Member

Re-open Contract Ended by Inactivity

Hello, so by two weeks ago I received notification from upwork that my contract with certain client is will be closed because inactivity which tell me "If no new milestone updates, payments, or refunds are made in the next 2 weeks, this contract will be closed, If you feel this contract should remain open, please contact your client. Should the contract be closed due to inactivity, your client will be notified about the option to leave feedback".

I was really caught up in my daily work so I completely forgot to tells him to keep the contract open, so today the contract is closed automatically from Upwork system and refund request is sent to me :'(( 
What could possibly I can do to make the contract re-open? Because the work is already more than 90%. Or should I respond dispute to refund request first and we should make a new contract?  

Please help me

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Naufal A wrote:

So here I am asking the same question again. I already attach the screenshot of the escrow refund request that sent to me automatically here, so I have to choose to option 1? (return the remaining funds in escrow to the client)

Don't do ANYTHING until you have clarified with the client which way you BOTH agree to go forward. You have 7 days to respond. You really need to speak to the client and decide the best way forward, which is essentially for you to release the funds back to the client and the client to create a new and funded contract. The only question is who does what first: Do you send the funds back first or does the client create a new contract first.

Disputing wouldn't achieve anything positive at this moment.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Naufal A wrote:

What could possibly I can do to make the contract re-open? 

Nothing. When it's closed, it's closed.

You need to figure it out with the client. Never let a contract drag on for 3 months with the money stuck in Escrow. That makes no sense.

So could you suggest the best solution for this? 
I didn't know before that messaging client isn't included as an activity for keeping the contract open before. 

Should I tell him first to start a new contract? or should I respond to the refund request and ask to dispute it first? 
Please at least I can start the contract again with the money in escrow 

Naufal A wrote:

Should I tell him first to start a new contract? or should I respond to the refund request and ask to dispute it first? 
Please at least I can start the contract again with the money in escrow 

Again: It is not possible to start the contract again.

1. There are two possibilities: You send the escrow money back to the client by agreeing to the return of Escrow funds, and the client creates a new contract.

2. The client cretes a new contract, then you agree to the return of the escrow funds. 

You have 7 days to react to the request to return the escrow funds.

I see then.. 
This number 2 possibility, so first I have to request dispute for refund request that sent to me automatically before from the system so I can get the money back to my escrow funds, and then start a new contract with the client? 

Because there's a refund request sent too along with the closed contract notification, and this wasn't from the client, it's from the Upwork system.

No, you do NOT have to request a dispute. Why would you want to drag the client into a dispute? A dispute will not "get the money back to your Escrow funds" - You need to resolve this amicably with your client by communicating with the client! A dispute would be a last resort if you can't resolve it with the client. Speak to your client!

I'm terribly sorry for the misunderstanding, why would I ask you this in the first place if I want to drag the client into a dispute? I'm asking you this because I need to clarify if my step is right so that I won't violate Upwork's rule and troubled the client. And YES I have contact the client first before I respond to the escrow refund request, so right now I haven't responded to the escrow refund request. And once again, this request is not sent by the client but it's from the Upwork system, we already had an agreement to expand the deadline.

So here I am asking the same question again. I already attach the screenshot of the escrow refund request that sent to me automatically here, so I have to choose to option 1? (return the remaining funds in escrow to the client)

Naufal A wrote:

Don't do ANYTHING until you have clarified with the client which way you BOTH agree to go forward. You have 7 days to respond. You really need to speak to the client and decide the best way forward, which is essentially for you to release the funds back to the client and the client to create a new and funded contract. The only question is who does what first: Do you send the funds back first or does the client create a new contract first.

Disputing wouldn't achieve anything positive at this moment.

I see then, thank you for the clarification and I'll do exactly what you suggest.
I apologize for the trouble, have a nice holiday

So way Upwork puts the client and the freeelancer in this situation, asking for something that is not positive, as you say?

HOW does this makes no sense? Do you now all possible tasks and freelancer/client relation types?

It is invasive to just end my contract and now I have problem with the client. The client wanted something only on 5 feb. But contract started months ago. This is NORMAL.

Perhaps you or the client should have read up on how Upwork works, understood that money can't stay in escrow with no activity for more than 90 days, and planned better.

You may disagree with the way the system works, but that won't change it. The best way to protect yourself is to educate yourself about it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members