Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re-submit profile endless loop?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 20

Kaiyes,

This thread is very informative, and I'd like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

 

You were invited by a client to work through Upwork. That's all working fine now.

 

I hope you'll be able to become a full-fledged member of Upwork's contractor community.
 

How much time to do you want to spend applying to other jobs, when you have an hourly contract with a current, paying client?

 

You have a great advantage over most new contractors, because you already have a contract. One of the best things a new contractor can do to get hired is to complete jobs and gain some hours of experience.

kaiyes
Active Member
Kaiyes A Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
12 of 20

Preston,

 

Thanks for clearing this up, My current client's work is only 5 hours/week @15/hour rate. So I think I can work a bit more ! 

 

As for the other question, I have already delivered  more than $100 dollars worth of work for my client outside upwork. He wanted to pay me through upwork so I came here to get payment.  

 

Upon coming here I saw other jobs that are worth applying for. 

 

Thats about it. 

 

I wanted to collect at month's end, but should I tell my client to pay now ? Will an amount (~$100) make me a legit contractor ?

 

Regards,

 

Kaiyes

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 20

Kaiyes,

 

You're a self-described full stack web developer, your profile has a portfolio, you're educated, your english is fine, you passed some tests, AND there's a client who wants to hire you, so I'm frankly mystified that Upwork thinks the 'marketplace does not have opportunities for you based on your combination of skills and experience'.

__________________________________________________
"No good deed goes unpunished." -- Clare Boothe Luce
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 20

There has to be a glitch somewhere. There have been a lot of odd things going on with people's profiles recently.

kaiyes
Active Member
Kaiyes A Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
15 of 20

okay. I have logged 5 hours of work manually since I have already delivered my client 6 hours of work. As he has set it up as 5 hours/week, I cant bill him more than that this week.

 

5*15= $75.  I wonder if thats enough for now to make my profile accepted. Or will I have to do this drill for couple of weeks.

 

Thing is, for a long time my clients/co-workers have been telling me to get on this upwork platform. But since I already have enough clients and I have established proper transaction pipeline with them, I was reluctant to even sign up. 

 

But coming here I see lot of good work that are being posted and are kinda easy for me. For example there is this one job that asks for a social network type web app to be made with meteor.js and must have notifications, ,twitter like following features and chat messages. I already have a web app like that made with meteor and even listed that as my project.  I guess that would be one easy job. 

I have found other jobs that I currently do as hobby, like video editing. I shoot and edit documentaries as a hobby and looks like there are lot of simple video editing jobs !!

 

But I can't make a proposal on any of them because upwork thinks I am a fraud !!

 

Nice. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 20

re: "But I can't make a proposal on any of them because upwork thinks I am a fraud"

 

I don't know that Upwork thinks you are a fraud.

 

In this thread, people (myself included) have speculated about why your profile has not been approved to access to general marketplace.

 

A lot of this is speculation about the general process. It is not necessarily about you. And I don't think Upwork has said anything you should interpret as an accusation of being a fraud.

 

I think you have been caught up in Upwork's policy designed to block contractors from the main Upwork marketplace when those contractors are not really ready to do any work on real jobs. The man emphasis of this new efforty from Upwork is not to block contractors who are frauds, but to block contractors whose skills are not a match for actual jobs in the marketplace. If this doesn't apply to you, don't take it personally. Understand that Upwork's alutomated algorithms and trained workers are not perfect.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
17 of 20

This thread explains a lot.

 

But I think the most important bit is this:

 

aImage1.jpg

Blame the robots.

 

 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

 

 

I think you have been caught up in Upwork's policy designed to block contractors from the main Upwork marketplace when those contractors are not really ready to do any work on real jobs. The man emphasis of this new efforty from Upwork is not to block contractors who are frauds, but to block contractors whose skills are not a match for actual jobs in the marketplace. If this doesn't apply to you, don't take it personally. Understand that Upwork's alutomated algorithms and trained workers are not perfect.


 It's worth noting that we have seen a handful of other cases in which a contractor was actually qualified, got caught in this loop, came to the forums and a moderator (after comments from a couple of trusted veterans saying "Wait..you're not who they're trying to screen out!" apparently intervened and the profile was approved. 

 

The overall process definitely needs improvement, but it's possible that simply by having brought his qualifications to light here, OP will achieve a solution in his individual case.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
19 of 20

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

 

 

I think you have been caught up in Upwork's policy designed to block contractors from the main Upwork marketplace when those contractors are not really ready to do any work on real jobs. The man emphasis of this new efforty from Upwork is not to block contractors who are frauds, but to block contractors whose skills are not a match for actual jobs in the marketplace. If this doesn't apply to you, don't take it personally. Understand that Upwork's alutomated algorithms and trained workers are not perfect.


 It's worth noting that we have seen a handful of other cases in which a contractor was actually qualified, got caught in this loop, came to the forums and a moderator (after comments from a couple of trusted veterans saying "Wait..you're not who they're trying to screen out!" apparently intervened and the profile was approved. 

 

The overall process definitely needs improvement, but it's possible that simply by having brought his qualifications to light here, OP will achieve a solution in his individual case.


You are right he did find a solution he has now worked 3 jobs here recently.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 20

@Katrina B wrote:


You are right he did find a solution he has now worked 3 jobs here recently.  


 Weird, I didn't see how old this thread was. It was on the front page for me this morning, though scrolling back I don't see any new posts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS