🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Real Interview vs. Clients Using Intervie...
Page options
krystal3446
Community Member

Real Interview vs. Clients Using Interviews for Free Work?

Hello,

What are key tips to tell if an interview is legit or tactic for clients to get free work? I was invited for an interview and the potential client contacted me with this email (I didn’t give the client’s name as that’s against the rules):

Hi Krystal,
I’m planning to market a multivitamin. The RDA should be 50% for all ingredients and 100% for Vitamin D. MV and additional ingredients please the the attached file. The product needs to be halal certified. 100% vitamin D as the main target group won’t get enough sunlight.
My questions:
A. Is the ingredient list workable? What size/weight will the tablet have? Is there a need for 2 instead of 1 tablet (1 tablet preferred). Is tablet the best form?
B. Any potential issues with the FDA?
C. Are you familiar with regulations in other countries, Canada, Europe, Middle East, Asia?
D. Any further suggestions?
I’m new to up work. I suppose you’ll quote me for above questions.

He gave me an attachment. This to me, sounds like he’s trying to get free advice without paying. I could be wrong. Does anyone have tips on how to spot legit clients? Thanks!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Krystal:

As a client, I have faced a similar issue. I have posted jobs which required freelancers with specialized expertise to answer questions about how they would work on a possible project. I wanted to be very clear what the work would entail, so I posted the complete question file as an attached file.

Early on I found that some job candidates would start answering the questions! Even though THAT'S THE JOB.

So I found that I had to be VERY clear in the job posting that freelancers applying to the job should NOT answer the questions. (Until they were hired.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Since he clearly asks you for a "quote," I wouldn't assume he's looking for free advice.

Tell him what you'd charge him to answer those questions and see if he hires you.

petra_r
Community Member

The client said "I suppose you'll quote me for the above question" which I understand to mean he expects to pay for the answers.

So I'd do just that (propose a price for comprehensive advice)

Edited to add: Will was faster 😄

krystal3446
Community Member

Thanks Petra and Will!

He gave me questions and I assumed he was expecting me to answer these, not just give him a quote. Thanks for clarifying.

Krystal:

As a client, I have faced a similar issue. I have posted jobs which required freelancers with specialized expertise to answer questions about how they would work on a possible project. I wanted to be very clear what the work would entail, so I posted the complete question file as an attached file.

Early on I found that some job candidates would start answering the questions! Even though THAT'S THE JOB.

So I found that I had to be VERY clear in the job posting that freelancers applying to the job should NOT answer the questions. (Until they were hired.)

Thanks Preston! Glad I asked, huh? 🙂
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members