Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realistic pricing

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 26

oy I wish Elance would invite me already to merge my account. Y U FORESAKEN ME ELANCE???

I keep looking at gigs, knowing that I have 0 history here and dread building a reputation again by starting off cheap. I reallllly don't want to do that again.

I just want to get started already!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
22 of 26

@Jennifer M wrote:

I keep looking at gigs, knowing that I have 0 history here and dread building a reputation again by starting off cheap.

No reason that should stop you from getting started here. I came here at the start of the year just to try something new, with absolutely no experience at other online work sites.  So long as you can show you have the chops to get things done, there's no reason you have to aim for the low end.  I do work cheaper than normal, but a lot of that is made up for by the convenience of it being online work.

For your own particular case, perhaps you could/should lead off your profile by mentioning your Elance history.  There should be no problem linking to it either, at least until you're allowed to merge it.  Another thing I noticed is that your profile seems to have some text encoding issues, which probably don't properly reflect your writing ability.  Fix it up and just start burning your Connects; worst case scenario of aiming high is that you'lll still have 0 jobs here when the merge occurs.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 26

@Darrin O wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

I keep looking at gigs, knowing that I have 0 history here and dread building a reputation again by starting off cheap.

...perhaps you could/should lead off your profile by mentioning your Elance history.  There should be no problem linking to it either, at least until you're allowed to merge it.

@Darrin,

@The last I heard, linking was forbidden, and only the official migration was supported. Perhaps a @mod can confirm or correct.

@Jennifer,

How on earth has a professional like you fallen prey to the notion that you should sell yourself short? As has become a near-mantra at Elance, the only reputation you build by low-balling is that of a low-baller. Charge professional prices if you want professional clients.

And why do you want to "get started" on Upwork? Don't you have adequate work already? You'll get credit for that in time. My activity on Upwork to date consists of two declines. I have, for the moment, a "perfect" Job Success score based on Elance activity, which dynamically updates (I started out at 90%, and shot up 10 points based on a private recommend score, even though the same client mistakenly downrated me in stars.)

I'd also gratuitiously suggest, if you haven't done so, tightening search filters till you find the magic formula where only plausible jobs come through. Life is too short to sift through dreck.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
24 of 26

Hi Jennifer,

I wish I could speed up your invitation to merge your Elance profile with Upwork, but unfortunately I can't. I am sure it will be coming very soon though.

Meanwhile, I suggest instead of adding a link to your Elance profile, add more portfolio pieces with links to projects you have completed (of course make sure you ask clients' permission to use them first). Also in your cover letter you can mention your experience on Elance.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 26

@Darrin -- thanks for pointing that out to me! I kinda just copy/pasted my Elance history. I'll check it out.

@Michael -- not sure I agree with bidding cheap at first gives you a rep for being cheap. Getting a few gigs under your belt and then raising prices seems reasonable. That's what I did at Elance and it worked out for me. I think most people are afraid to raise their prices. Maybe that's where the cheap rep comes into it. I always thought the "bid what you're worth" thing was just beneficial to the old timers, not new people. All things being equal, if 1 person has no history and the other one has a long history, the long history provider has an advantage. You can have great references and still be a flakey freelancer.

@Valerie -- it's the thought that counts, right. Smiley Happy  Thanks, though. Elance is still making money for me, but I noticed that when you search freelancers in Google that their ads are gone. The ramping down on marketing is what concerns me. I don't want to be one of the people stuck fighting at the end for gigs. lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
26 of 26

I agree with Jennifer on the beginner pricing. If you have nothing to show for even in your portfolio then you might as well start from the bottom.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS