cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reality check on job I'm bidding on

Community Leader
Lee Ann M Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
1 of 15

Hi all - I'm talking with a potential client on a job that would have me writing a (quoting from job descr.) "training document will allow our firm to provide certification and licensing to our staff and clients" on stormwater discharge requirements for construction projects and "outcome should result in a document that can be used to satisfy the requirements of an approximately 15 hour training course" - so the curriculum and material for a 15-hour training (and he also said he thought this would be 50-60 pages of material). This requires specific expertise, which I have. I thought realistically about how long this would take (considering but not fully utilizing the principle that you should double the time you think it will take). I gave an estimate of 120-150 hours and he came back saying they thought it would be 1/4 of that - so 40 hours.  Does anyone have any sense of whether either of us is being outlandish? Smiley Happy

Community Leader
2 of 15

Just to suppement - deadline was set at Nov. 15 and client had also asked as supplemental question how many hours per week freelancers were available - making it sound as if they expected a signficant time commitment.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 15

Lee Ann M wrote:

Hi all - I'm talking with a potential client on a job that would have me writing a (quoting from job descr.) "training document will allow our firm to provide certification and licensing to our staff and clients" on stormwater discharge requirements for construction projects and "outcome should result in a document that can be used to satisfy the requirements of an approximately 15 hour training course" - so the curriculum and material for a 15-hour training (and he also said he thought this would be 50-60 pages of material). This requires specific expertise, which I have. I thought realistically about how long this would take (considering but not fully utilizing the principle that you should double the time you think it will take). I gave an estimate of 120-150 hours and he came back saying they thought it would be 1/4 of that - so 40 hours.  Does anyone have any sense of whether either of us is being outlandish? Smiley Happy

You are the professional telling the client how much time the task will take. If the client disagrees, hard pass. 

Community Leader
4 of 15

Sounds accurate and concise!

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 15

I just completed 11k words of researched content and it took me 100+ hours. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 15

I don't have formal experience or credentials with training course development but my gut tells me you are in the right ballpark. I took at quick gander around and found quite a few resources including the following, which could be helpful in getting a client to understand or at least accept the scope of what they require:

http://www.chapmanalliance.com/howlong/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/instructional-design-development-ratios-how-long-does-diane-valenti/

https://www.td.org/insights/how-long-does-it-take-to-develop-one-hour-of-training-updated-for-2017

It sounds like you  bring the subject matter expertise and the curriculum development, which is a lot of value.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 15

I would be wary of trying to bring a client who is that far off the mark around. They may eventually accept reality but I wouldn't want to be the first freelancer they work with after they have to triple their budget. 

Community Leader
8 of 15

Thank you so much everyone!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
9 of 15

Tonya P wrote:

I would be wary of trying to bring a client who is that far off the mark around. They may eventually accept reality but I wouldn't want to be the first freelancer they work with after they have to triple their budget. 

True dat. 

Community Leader
10 of 15

Thank you for this Phyllis!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS