🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Realized I'm getting paid too little
Page options
youmnahmad
Community Member

Realized I'm getting paid too little

i need some advice concerning a contract I started with a client about 2 weeks ago. I am not that experienced with freelancing, this happens to be only my second job. I signed up for a job of editing 250 pages for $40 in one month, but as I started working I quickly realized that this job is going to take much longer than I have anticipated. It took me about 2 weeks to get only 5% done. I'm also realizing that the amount I'm getting paid is very little compared to the amount of hours I'm putting into this. I know I shouldn't have agreed earlier on but as I mentioned earlier I'm still very new to all of this and simply didn't know how to estimate better. What do I do?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnchristopher2
Community Member

I would show him the work you have completed so far and explain that you are committed to delivering great quality. You however underestimated the amount of work and are physically unable to do the job for the fixed price amount. Apologize for the inconvenience and then just stand firm. Explain that you will do your utmost best and complete the job within your revised Deadline estimate.

Explain that you would like to change the contract to an hourly rate, and explain that the app confirms that you are actively working on the task.

If he doesn't want that and also won't raise the budget for the project then I would offer him a partial refund and thank him for the opportunity.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
lysis10
Community Member

Noob mistake. Look at writing before you determine price and if you even want to edit it. Looks like you are editing Arabic, so there is a good chance this cheap client got a machine translation. I highly doubt they are up for a rate hike. You have two options:

1) Accept your error and do it

2) Tell him it's garbage and you need more money.

Chances are with 2 that he will leave you poor feedback and bail. He might not, but there is a good chance he won't be happy. Up to you what you want to do.

johnchristopher2
Community Member

I would show him the work you have completed so far and explain that you are committed to delivering great quality. You however underestimated the amount of work and are physically unable to do the job for the fixed price amount. Apologize for the inconvenience and then just stand firm. Explain that you will do your utmost best and complete the job within your revised Deadline estimate.

Explain that you would like to change the contract to an hourly rate, and explain that the app confirms that you are actively working on the task.

If he doesn't want that and also won't raise the budget for the project then I would offer him a partial refund and thank him for the opportunity.

The good news is that you will never make this same mistake again.

If it makes you feel any better, I think we have all done this. I know I have.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members