Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really upset and need to vent!

estrategic
Ace Contributor
Steven S Member Since: Jun 13, 2016
11 of 27

I commend you on your ethics, Samantha.  Its not easy to say no to the money or the job.  

samanthawriter7
Community Leader
Samantha L Member Since: Jan 3, 2016
12 of 27

Thanks but there's really not much to commend me for: I'm simply unwilling to compromise my Upwork account.  

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 27

He could buy and dwnld them himself then mail them?

samanthawriter7
Community Leader
14 of 27

I don't think you can do that with Kindle. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 27

The client can also buy you kindle gift vouchers for your country. That way no money changes hands and you can buy the books with the gift voucher.

samanthawriter7
Community Leader
16 of 27

As I mentioned, he has already done that successfully with many of the books but for some reason that option was unavailable for these specific titles. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 27

Samantha, kindle ebooks are mobi format. Your client should be able to send you a mobi file. You should then be able to import it to your kindle device. If you can't figure out how to do that, there are free apps that can import mobi, like Calibre for example. 

18 of 27

I'm unsure about the legality of this.  

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
19 of 27

You can lend books which I am assuming is legal - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?tag=skim0x76384-20&nodeId=200549320

http://www.ebook-converter.com/109-how-to-share-kindle-books-with-friend.htm

My guess is that can only be done with certain books though. This is not my space so I don't know much to comment and not sure if lending is possible, but I assume you aren't supposed to remove the DRMs from the books or anything, so the second half of the 2nd article I sent would probably be illegal, at least in certain countries. 

The only other thing I read is to have a shared account -Kindle permits up to 6 Kindle devices to be attached to one account and any number of apps. This would obviously require a lot of trust with personal info though. I don't even know if this works between different countries or if it's just for your family in your house. This one is probably not even an option, at least I wouldn't do it with someone I don't know. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 27

I must be missing something...why wouldn't he just order the books shipped directly to you?

If that won't work, one or both of you is going to have to take a risk or make a compromise.

For example, you could reduce your rate on those jobs to split the cost of shipping.

Or, he could send you a bonus payment that would cover 2-3 books so you could get through the holding period and use that money to purchase these books as necessary.

Also...I'm assuming you've thought of this, but just in case...have you checked your local library?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS