Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really upset and need to vent!

samanthawriter7
Community Leader
Samantha L Member Since: Jan 3, 2016
21 of 27

He wants to avoid the shipping cost.  

I am entirely unwilling to take any sort of risk with my Upwork account by violating terms of service.  I fully assume that wasn't what you were suggesting.  

I'm a bit too tired to answer the rest of the questions, but thanks for the interest!  Smiley Happy 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 27

@Samantha L wrote:

I am entirely unwilling to take any sort of risk with my Upwork account by violating terms of service.  I fully assume that wasn't what you were suggesting.  

You don't need to assume.

I spelled out exactly what I was suggesting.

For the record, though I thought it was clear, I would definitely not suggest violating TOS. It wouldn't be because you'd be "taking a chance with your Upwork account," though. I just believe in having integrity and honoring the agreements you made and that sort of thing.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
23 of 27

@Samantha L wrote:

He wants to avoid the shipping cost.  

I'm a bit too tired to answer the rest of the questions, but thanks for the interest!  Smiley Happy 

I would suggest the obvious, that if he wants you to continue working for him, the simple solution is that he can't avoid shipping costs and to proceed from there. The shipping is his problem, not yours.

If he's not willing to do that, and all the other suggestions are not doable, then kindly tell your client you'll not be able to continue working for him. The client has you running around in circles - to quote Nancy Reagan "just say no".

ETA: Samantha, as top-rated, you can remove his feedback should he decide to go pear-shaped on you if you end the contract. (I just like the opportunity to use the phrase "pear-shaped")

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
24 of 27

I agree with Virginia here. It's something the client wants and there is an obvious extra cost to get what they want done, whether it be to compensate through upworks and have to wait or pay the shipping. That should be the client's expense and I would just say no if they don't want to take on the expense that it costs for you to do the job. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 27

@Virginia F wrote:

I would suggest the obvious, that if he wants you to continue working for him, the simple solution is that he can't avoid shipping costs and to proceed from there. The shipping is his problem, not yours.

If he's not willing to do that, and all the other suggestions are not doable, then kindly tell your client you'll not be able to continue working for him. The client has you running around in circles - to quote Nancy Reagan "just say no".

Good point, Virginia. I had initially assumed, since book shipping costs appear to be an insurmountable obstacle, that this was one of the many clients paying a writer pennies and book shipping costs would exceed or come near to the cost of the job.

After reading your post, I looked at OP's profile. She's made $665 on this job over the past couple of months, leaving me entirely unclear on why the client can't just pay the shipping AND why the OP won't just buy the book and let him reimburse her.

Clearly, someone will just have to decide to compromise. Or not to.

allysonk_h
Ace Contributor
Allyson H Member Since: Jan 7, 2016
26 of 27

Does the public libary have the books...?

silw
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
27 of 27

How many days will he lose to search for a new freelancer, get him to know the work and actually let him produce the work?

That the client is unwilling to provide you with the materials you need in order to do the job is an indication that his interest seems to be selfish and not cooperative.

In the end, you should do what you think is best.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS