cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really very hard to get job

ramzan33
Community Leader

Hello Admin,

I am working here since 2013. I didn't get long term job yet. I don't know why. I have passed many time here. Please suggest me what should i do ? 

Hope to hear back from you soon.

 

Best Regards

 

Ramzanul
21 REPLIES 21
mtngigi
Community Guru

There are thousands of freelancers on this site that offer what you do. Not only Photoshop "experts", but graphic designers as well, who know how to do the same thing.

 

I think it's simply a matter of over-saturation.

 

That said, your profile overview is too long - i would suggest you make it more concise.

 

ETA: However ... it looks like you get plenty of work. 4 jobs in progress and many completed. I don't think what you do really lend itself to long-term projects,

ramzan33
Community Leader

@Virginia F wrote:

There are thousands of freelancers on this site that offer what you do. Not only Photoshop "experts", but graphic designers as well, who know how to do the same thing.

 

I think it's simply a matter of over-saturation.

 

That said, your profile overview is too long - i would suggest you make it more concise.

 

ETA: However ... it looks like you get plenty of work. 4 jobs in progress and many completed. I don't think what you do really lend itself to long-term projects,


Thanks for your valuable comment ... 

Ramzanul
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru

@Ramzanul --

 

With all due respect, this is from the first two lines of your Profile: "I have tremendous ability of providing one’s desired quality as is an axiomatic eminent services provider." I speak fluent English. I have read these words over at least seven times. I still have no idea what services you are offering.

"axiomatic eminent services provider"

 

I'm gonna to reuse this.

 

Hey M. Client, I'm axiomatic eminent. Yes sir. Guaranteed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

It's why I suggested he be more concise ... didn't want to get into the whole language thing, but yeah.

thanks for your notice . I am gonna change to my overview also but i think this is not major fact ............

Ramzanul

@Md.Ramzanul H wrote:

i think this is not major fact ............


 I think it is. Your overview is unfocused and in poor English, which is in sharp contrast to your claimed "Fluent" English skills.

 

Your portfolio shows solid basic work - but it's essentially the same thing over and over. Nothing "special" or "expert" - and let's not even touch on the fact that you did not take those photos yet did not credit the copyright owners.....

ramzan33
Community Leader

May i ask you ? Do you know photo editing, retoching, natarual shadow creating, ghost mannequin remove ? 

Ramzanul

 


@Md.Ramzanul H wrote:

May i ask you ? Do you know photo editing


 Yes I do.

ramzan33
Community Leader

I didn't see any sample in your portfolio. I don't know how can you judge my work ! I know Upwork don't give more opportunity for asian. They gives priority European people. But I don't know why ?

Ramzanul

@Md.Ramzanul H wrote:

1) I didn't see any sample in your portfolio.

2) I don't know how can you judge my work ! 

3) I know Upwork don't give more opportunity for asian. They gives priority European people. But I don't know why ?


 1) I am not offering Photoshop Services on Upwork. I have been using Photoshop for over 10 years as a hobby.

 

2)  I am not "judging" your work. You asked why you don't win more work. I offered an opinion that it could be due to the following factors:

  • your overview is badly written in poor English
  • you claim "fluent" English skills when this is not true. The thing is: You don't even NEED fluent English in your line of work, but a client looks for discrepancies, and when someone lies about one skill the client will assume they lie about other things. When I hire (and I do) - if I spot one lie on a profile I move on immediately.
  • your portfolio is ok, but there is nothing "special" there that makes you stand out from thousands of others with similar or much better and diverse and eyecatching work.
  • you use images you do not own the rights to and do not credit the rights owner, and likely do not have permission to use the images.

3) That is abject nonsense. Upwork does not "give opportunities" - clients choose freelancers on the strength of their profile and their portfolio. If your profile and your portfolio show nothing that is in any way better / more interesting / more eyecatching / more appealing than that of thousands of others, why should a client choose you rather than one of the thousands of others?

ramzan33
Community Leader

Hello Petra,

Thanks for your valuable advise. I will change my overview ASAP and Upload more Eyecatching portfolio ASAP.

Ramzanul

The first thing you should do is enlist a native English speaker to help you with your profile copy. Either ask a friend or, alternatively, hire an editing service. There are editors right here on Upwork who could help you (no, I am not one of them - this is not an ad LOL). As another person mentioned, since you are a graphic designer, fluent English won't matter very much to clients, but your profile copy needs to have no spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors. It doesn't have to be Shakespearean, but it should be gramatically correct and contain all of the keywords relevant to what you do.

 

As another person mentioned, due to the nature of your services, it is highly unlikely you'll land a long-term freelance job. Graphic design is like web development; most projects are "one and done." Very few companies need a regular freelancer, although if you build up a client base, you may get people who call on you regularly, especially if you can hook up with some busy web developers. I'm a copywriter who is looking to move into web development, and I can't even draw stick figures, let alone create custom logos or do other graphics stuff. I can re-size, crop, and flip an image; that's about it.

 

Good luck!


@Md.Ramzanul H wrote:

thanks for your notice . I am gonna change to my overview also but i think this is not major fact ............


 

Ramzanul --

 

Here is some free editing advice (and normally I charge fairly high rates for such advice) :

 

As long as you are planning to change your Profile, I suggest that you re-think your use of the following individual words (and one phrase), as each is used within your Profile axiomatic, eminent, proclamation, proclamation (both 1st and 2nd instances of use), sustained, and "essence of vast knowledge" (entire phrase).

 

These words (and the phrase) are perfectly fine English vocabulary, but in each case, you are not using them correctly/to good effect. The incorrect usage of the words serves only to underscore your weak command of English, and (simultaneously) tends to suggest that you are trying too hard and that you have chosen words primarily on the basis that they "sound" erudite. Clients who are not hiring you for their projects may well be suspicious that the latter was your motive as you wrote your Profile. (And, frankly, it is difficult for a native English speaker to read what you have written in your Profile without entertaining such a suspicion, because your Profile writing is a bit of a caricature of over-studied, unnecessarily polysyllabic writing.) Such suspicions on the part of a client will likely lead to the corollary suspicion that you are engaging in "puffery" in general, and this will tend to undermine client confidence in your portfolio and in your representations in general.

 

The phenomenon I have described above is an example of how language may have a strong effect on job prospects. Please do not dismiss the good advice that others have offered to you (within this thread/posting) by saying that "i think this is not major fact ." You are free to think so, but thinking and wishing doesn't make anything true. It would be comfortable for you to absolve yourself of any fault, in your difficulty finding jobs, and to attribute the fault solely to bias in "Upwork" against non-European freelancers (although such bias would, as pointed out above, necessarily result from aggregate hiring decisions made by individual clients, rather than being a result of Upwork policy/policies). However, language is the first and best means you have to COMMUNICATE WITH a client and to PRESENT YOURSELF. If you fail at that first step, then you're done. You will go no further in the job-application process. Your proposal dies. It seems that your proposals have been experiencing a high rate of mortality. I therefore suggest to you that your language could, indeed, be "a major fact" in hiring (or non-hiring), and I am offering you specific targets for language improvement.

 

Take my suggestions or leave them. Most people have to pay for my opinions. So... Whatever.


@Janean L wrote:

@Md.Ramzanul H wrote:

thanks for your notice . I am gonna change to my overview also but i think this is not major fact ............


 

Ramzanul --

 

Here is some free editing advice (and normally I charge fairly high rates for such advice) :

 

As long as you are planning to change your Profile, I suggest that you re-think your use of the following individual words (and one phrase), as each is used within your Profile axiomatic, eminent, proclamation, proclamation (both 1st and 2nd instances of use), sustained, and "essence of vast knowledge" (entire phrase).

 

These words (and the phrase) are perfectly fine English vocabulary, but in each case, you are not using them correctly/to good effect. The incorrect usage of the words serves only to underscore your weak command of English, and (simultaneously) tends to suggest that you are trying too hard and that you have chosen words primarily on the basis that they "sound" erudite. Clients who are not hiring you for their projects may well be suspicious that the latter was your motive as you wrote your Profile. (And, frankly, it is difficult for a native English speaker to read what you have written in your Profile without entertaining such a suspicion, because your Profile writing is a bit of a caricature of over-studied, unnecessarily polysyllabic writing.) Such suspicions on the part of a client will likely lead to the corollary suspicion that you are engaging in "puffery" in general, and this will tend to undermine client confidence in your portfolio and in your representations in general.

 

The phenomenon I have described above is an example of how language may have a strong effect on job prospects. Please do not dismiss the good advice that others have offered to you (within this thread/posting) by saying that "i think this is not major fact ." You are free to think so, but thinking and wishing doesn't make anything true. It would be comfortable for you to absolve yourself of any fault, in your difficulty finding jobs, and to attribute the fault solely to bias in "Upwork" against non-European freelancers (although such bias would, as pointed out above, necessarily result from aggregate hiring decisions made by individual clients, rather than being a result of Upwork policy/policies). However, language is the first and best means you have to COMMUNICATE WITH a client and to PRESENT YOURSELF. If you fail at that first step, then you're done. You will go no further in the job-application process. Your proposal dies. It seems that your proposals have been experiencing a high rate of mortality. I therefore suggest to you that your language could, indeed, be "a major fact" in hiring (or non-hiring), and I am offering you specific targets for language improvement.

 

Take my suggestions or leave them. Most people have to pay for my opinions. So... Whatever.


Hi Janean,

Thank you very much for your wise advise .......

Ramzanul
mariawicz5
Community Guru

Your particular skill set is way oversaturated. Also, you can't have your outside portfolio linked on your profile as it violates TOS. Likewise, the oDesk certifications you listed aren't certifications but rather test scores.

I do believe that time is valuable. And that is why I only wrote 5 lines last time to help client sum up everything in a shorter span of time. I didn't have any problem. But few days ago I was suddenly told that my profile picture which I was using for 2 years wasn't clear! I mean, seriously! I found out the person who was dealing the ticket with me. His/Her, I'm not going to reveal the exact name, profile picture was obviously more hazy and daisy. And I was also told to write a vague Overview denoting what I actually do! I was just wondering if I don't have the rights of writing a short Overview! I find reading "Terms & Conditions" page boring and that's why I'm expecting a feedback from any of the community members.

I was simply asked to lengthen my overview and break everything down! I understand that there is the limit of 5,000 characters but do I need to use a whole lot of them mandatorily!


@I S M H wrote:

 I find reading "Terms & Conditions" page boring and that's why I'm expecting a feedback from any of the community members.


@ @ I S M H

 

Boring? Yes it is. However, we are required to abide by the rules of the Terms and Conditions. Many members of Upwork have failed to get a basic understanding of the Terms and found themselves with profile problems, invalid photos, and a host of other misunderstandings. And they dare to cry "your not being fair!".

 

This is a professional marketplace that handles financial transactions. I for one am VERY glad for the Terms and Conditions, as it protects both Freelancers and Clients from all kinds of fraud.

 

(In theory, that is).

 

 


@Pandora H wrote:

@I S M H wrote:

 I find reading "Terms & Conditions" page boring and that's why I'm expecting a feedback from any of the community members.


@ @ I S M H

 

Boring? Yes it is. However, we are required to abide by the rules of the Terms and Conditions. Many members of Upwork have failed to get a basic understanding of the Terms and found themselves with profile problems, invalid photos, and a host of other misunderstandings. And they dare to cry "your not being fair!".

 

This is a professional marketplace that handles financial transactions. I for one am VERY glad for the Terms and Conditions, as it protects both Freelancers and Clients from all kinds of fraud.

 

(In theory, that is).

 

 


Thanks for advise ........ 

Ramzanul

@I S M H wrote:

 I find reading "Terms & Conditions" page boring and that's why I'm expecting a feedback from any of the community members.


 Wait...you find doing your own homework boring, so you're "expecting" that members of the community who were responsible enough to understand the rules before they got started will take time out of their busy schedules to explain to you what you've chosen not to bother to read? Really?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS