🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reason for JSS decrease
Page options
fa749755
Community Member

Reason for JSS decrease

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

500 REPLIES 500
bilsim
Community Member

Amanuel T wrote:

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

Most likely the client left you a poor private feedback. Sometimes clients do that and their public feedback does not match the private one.

fa749755
Community Member

I didn't think so, because, immediately after he ended the project, the client gave me another project and currently working on that

Your contracts move through 6/12/24 months calculation windows. A good outcome might have fallen out.

is there any way to submit a review of my JSS based on the recent activities?

No. The JSS calculation is completely automatic and the same for everyone. Just complete more jobs with good feedback and it will improve. 

crart
Community Member

Biljana V wrote:

Most likely the client left you a poor private feedback. Sometimes clients do that and their public feedback does not match the private one.

This is precisely why I am all against this bs called "private feedback". Why encouraging hypocrisy? Be honest or don't bother talking. A sign of our times, fake feedback, everyone's "happy" and then backstabbing. I thought UW was more, well, grown up.

AndreaG

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork
0b53f204
Community Member

Can you please let me know who gave this private feedback because we never dissatisfied our clients plus we got good feedback even from our recent clients. if there's someone who did this at least let us know. 

50a51150
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

I am shocked to see a sudden decrease in my JSS for no reason. I understand that these are reasons that affect the JSS:

• If I have received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • If I have received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

I don't see any of the above reasons happening to me in the last 3 months. It has even changed on a different day (On Thursday - 07/04/2022). It always updates on Monday. It was 100% and now it is 92%. 

I really want help with this. Please assist me with it.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Kashif

I don't understand your above explanation because when I was sitting at 100% most of the time for years and didn't get any new outcome from months, how my JSS suddenly decreased by 3%?

Bottom Line: I have been working here since 2011 when it was oDdesk. So as a senior freelancer, I would like to suggest to upwork please improve the JSS system. Because if it is not from any bug and it is just due to system, then it is a high level of discrepancy in JSS system. How it can be fair thing that we are not getting any new low rated or bad feedback, even we are punishing because our good outcomes are aged out. What is the sense of it?

√ If the system will remove our old good feedback than what difference will be remaining between a highly skill freelancer AND the new freelancer who just earned good feedback.
√ Client will hire those freelancer who has low skill but has 100% JSS due to recent good feedback (no aged out for them) and clients will get average work form them because they has 100% JSS but not high skill. Do you (Upwork) know what will be its long term IMPACT? Obviously, Client will move to other platform because they wont get the high quality work due to your system dumbness they will confuse by JSS and give priority to 100% JSS freelancer cause they do not know the thing behind JSS logic. 

For example: I had completed 100 jobs with most of good feedback, and from past 6+ months I did not get any new job because some jobs are in progress since 6 months. But in mean time my few highly rated jobs has aged out and dramatically I went down without any of my mistake. Do you think it is fair thing for both client and freelancer? Client will miss lead by this thing and hire to those freelancer who has 100% JSS. Does not matter how they earned behind JSS logic.

*** Upwork please think about my suggestion, I am sure it will help to all of us (upwork + client + freelancer).

Thanks!

Hi Piush,

Thank you for reaching out and providing your feedback. I'll send this to our team to help us create a better experience for everyone.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello Annie Jane B, 
I currently completed 7 jobs on my profile and I got a rising talent badge also. As well as  I have to deal with 2 annoying clients within that period.  It has been showing for 3 days, my Jss was 67%. I don't know how it's dropped like this. I earned $600 within the last 2 months. but I'm really sad at this moment that no one hires me now due to that JSS score. Can you check my profile please please help me? I really want to stand -out on Upwork but unfortunately. I can't imagine, what's happened to my profile. 
Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f4e232b70968204a

crart
Community Member

Andrea G wrote:

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity.

Let me just point out this specific sentence - this should NOT be the case and you may want to rebuild this whole bs called JSS from the ground. Not having projects - and with recent money grab and pay to win changes I have personally less projects, survival IS a challenge, thank you very much UW - should not make JSS to lower simply because it does not make sense. Also, counting hidden feedback towards JSS is an abuse. People are rarely honest and prefer to lie in the face while speaking bad behind the back, why even encourage it. I thought UW was grown up platform, see it is not. There are two options - remove JSS (it is misleading anyways, based on not well thought out measures and overall harmful) or remove hidden feedback entirely, thus counting open feedback towards JSS, if you so want to keep it, so it makes sense. Supporting any form of abuse is not welcome in business environment. 

dacash11
Community Member

That s why one thing should change on the rating system: When a contract stayed open because the Client are not educated enough (for example I have like 10 open contract with positive outcomes but without closing and review) the contract feedback should be automatically positive and affect positively the JSS score. 

I exaplain you why:

You said 1000 times that open contracts dont affect JSS score, BUT THAT S A LIE.

Imagine that in one year all your client dont give you review neither close their contracts with you. What is going to happen to your JSS score. I tell you: IT GOES TO 0!

Same thing happened to me. I've been at 100 for over a year then suddenly went down to 87 a week ago without additional review. I only have 1 active job and the rest ended 6 months ago. It is unlikely that a previous client just suddenly decided to give me a negative feedback 6 months AFTER the contract ended. Im not buying that explanation.

c28d45de
Community Member

Hello Andrea G, 
I currently completed 7 jobs on my profile and I got a rising talent badge also. As well as  I have to deal with 2 annoying clients within that period.  It has been showing for 3 days, my Jss was 67%. I don't know how it's dropped like this. I earned $600 within the last 2 months. but I'm really sad at this moment that no one hires me now due to that JSS score. Can you check my profile please please help me? I really want to stand -out on Upwork but unfortunately. I can't imagine, what's happened to my profile. 

b47b090b
Community Member

Hi Guys, 

I have worked on 17 jobs except 1 (4.6 stars) all of them are 5 stars. And most importantly I know all the clients were satisfied when they closed the contract. Yesterday My JSS was at 100% today it shows 68%. What should I do? How Can I fix this? 

Thanks 

petra_r
Community Member

Rayhanur K wrote:

Yesterday My JSS was at 100% today it shows 68%.

Something must have gone spectacularly wrong in the last two weeks.

Any cancelled contracts?

Hi Petra,

I had a similar experience just yesterday! I suddenly lost my Top-Rated badge yesterday and my jss dropped from 100% to 70% in a matter of hours!!!

I'm not sure why this happened?????

***Possible reason #1???

I'm guessing my recent Client left negative Private Feedback on our 2 jobs??? Contract ID 28464004 (total amount of 2 jobs was almost $18,000)

***Another possible reason for this horrible jss drop and Top Rated badge removal???

Maybe because my old jobs have dropped off?? And now I don’t have enough recent jobs??? I still have enough earnings though.

My most recent Client (Contract ID 28464004) gave me a lower public star score for "availability" and “deadlines” (4.4) I believe due to the fact that I got severely sick with bronchitis and pneumonia for 3 weeks during our project.

There are some things such as getting sick that a person cannot control.

She told me she was “understanding”, but you know how that goes. Guess she was pretty pissed off. We really got along, so it’s very disappointing to have received such low scores from her on these jobs.

Do you think negative Private Feedback is what’s causing my looooooow jss score and the removal of my Top Rated badge??

Just give me your best educated guess.

Additionally, I never got an email from Upwork saying, "You've lost your Top Rated badge."

Is this even relevant?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Or please tell me that this is an Upwork GLITCH and I'll wake up tomorrow morning with my profile at 100% and my Top-Rated badge renewed!

I have submitted a Help Ticket on the issue.

Thank you!

Hi Michelle,

I am sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused. Please know that neither our team nor our Customer Support team can share details about how specific contracts affect Job Succes Score. I would like to clarify that your JSS can change because:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

You can find more information in this help article.
~ Nikola
Upwork
c28d45de
Community Member

Hello Nikola S, 

Hi Yaxa,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your JSS. Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

THe EXACT same thing happened to me. It frustrates me because I put so much time and energy into good customer service, and excellent job quality. 

My job success score recently dropped down to 75%, now it's at 79% but I have had nothing but happy customers. My only thought is that I did accept a contract, but the client NEVER provided work. I asked for it a few times, then was told it would have to be mailed - I provided a P.O. Box... then was told it had to be a physical address, so I played it safe and gave a business address rather than my personal address. They then said since I wasn't serious, they were canceling the contract. HOW can I right this? I pride myself on my job output and my customer satisfaction - scammers should not be able to tank me.

My job success score recently dropped from 100% down to 75%, now it's at 79% but I have had nothing but happy customers. My only thought is that I did accept a recent contract that SEEMED legit, but the client NEVER provided work. I asked for it a few times, then was told it would have to be mailed - I provided a P.O. Box... then was told it had to be a physical address, so I played it safe and gave a business address rather than my personal address. They then said since I wasn't serious, they were canceling the contract. HOW can I right this wrong? I pride myself on my job output and my customer satisfaction - scammers should not be able to tank me.

One client closed a contract. He was making some racial slurs, later on, he said he was under the influence of drugs and he was sorry for his behavior and I forgave him. Later that day he started another contract. He even changed his feedback and everything. I am helping him with another project right now. 

This was his feedback later on (It's on my profile too)

Ray is one of the most compassionate, diligent and loyal individuals I know. He truly seeks to understand your situation first before casting judgment. I'm amazed by how lucky I've gotten in having the opportunity to work with a guy like Ray."

What can I do now? 

petra_r
Community Member

OUCH. The client changing the feedback only affects the visible signs of the contract having gone badly wrong. The real effect on the JSS comes from the private feedback, which can't be changed.

Because it is by FAR the biggest contract you have completed, and the JSS is Dollar.weighed, and you have so very few completed contracts, this hit you really hard

Rayhanur K wrote:

What can I do now? 

You can use your Top Rated Feedback Removal Perk to have this contract's impact on your JSS removed. Here is how you can do this (provided you haven't used it previously)...

I can't believe you accepted another contract with the same client....

For future reference, when someone shows you who they are, believe them.

b47b090b
Community Member

I was working with him for 3 weeks. And he never misbehaved in any way and when he apologized to me it felt real. I can't get into too much detail but I forgave him and I know without my help he won't be able to move ahead with his work so didn't want to put him in trouble. I can have him knock Upwork and testify everything that I am saying here, but I didn't do anything wrong. It was a misunderstanding from his side and he admitted his fault. Why am I being penalized? 

petra_r
Community Member

Rayhanur K wrote:

I can have him knock Upwork and testify everything that I am saying here

No point. There is no way the private feedback can be changed.

It is what it is. Use your perk and move on.

He left bad private feedback which can't be changed. 

Isn't it crazy how one single bad feedback can effectively kick you out of business? 100 to 68% seems terribly harsh!

petra_r
Community Member

Charuan A wrote:

Isn't it crazy how one single bad feedback can effectively kick you out of business? 100 to 68% seems terribly harsh!

He only has 7 closed contracts and this one is $4k, all the others together are only just over $400

He is not being "kicked out of business" either, he can easily fix it using the perk and freelancers have recovered from far worse.

But accepting a second contract with the same client is where the real danger lies. If the client is unstable, what's stopping him doing the same thing again?

b47b090b
Community Member

Petra, are you blaming me for giving him another chance because he made a mistake? 

petra_r
Community Member

Rayhanur K wrote:

Petra, are you blaming me for giving him another chance because he made a mistake? 

I am not "blaming" anyone, but with any one contract having such a HUGE effect on your JSS (as you can see) you have to be careful who you work with.

That client has been abusive to you and is clearly and admittedly unstable. 

You can fix the issue at hand using the perk, but if the client flips again, the perk will be gone and you'll be stuck with the feedback and the next JSS drop.

People don't change. 

b47b090b
Community Member

Thanks for your help Petra. Really means a lot to me. As you can understand this review is very discouraging to me. But I still like to believe people do change, and I will give the benefit of the doubt whoever asks for it. 

Thanks again for all your help. I am very grateful to you. 

petra_r
Community Member

Rayhanur K wrote:

But I still like to believe people do change, and I will give the benefit of the doubt whoever asks for it. 

I genuinly hope it won't come back to haunt you. I do sometimes do this in my private life. I don't in business. I won't take such chances with my profile, so if any client behaved like that towards me, they would never get the chance to harm me again.

Hi,

In case if you are a top rated freelancer on upwork, then you may request upwork to remove the feedback from some customers.  https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/219801228-Feedback-Removal

hey, I'm facing the same issue and your query came to my feed. Just saw your profile and your jss is again at 100. would you tell me how we can increase it again?

franbevanda
Community Member

My job success rate dropped from 100% to 92%, I have 7 jobs done and all 7 of them are rated with 5.00.
Please help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths