🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reason for JSS decrease
Page options
fa749755
Community Member

Reason for JSS decrease

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

500 REPLIES 500
shaltype
Community Member

Hi guys!
I was struggling on 3 past months, it was from my JSS and missing the rising badge.
I’m pretty sure that always takes the job done, also got 5 stars with reviews too.
Some contracts are still on, so I decide to end the contract for clients that did not give me more jobs.
Then my JSS dropped to 83% now, I don't know if it's from a client that did not give me a rating or else.
Can someone tell me what going on? And how to fix it?

I'm already asked clients but some got no response for feedback.
It's so hard to get new clients from that.

deshonline_it
Community Member

Good day,

Recently i am having an issue in my account that, I was top rated with 100% job success score.

Certainly my job success score has been down to 82% From 100% and lost to-rated badge.

Reason i found that, My kid was too sick and i was at hospital, I wasn't able contact with anyone from hospital, days and times was too busy as aresult my client was unsatisfied and end contract also left a bad feedback with score 2.5 

The contract was hourly 27$/hour And i earned only 47$ from this contract.

How its possible to down my job success score from 100% to 82%

Next week i got another job 10$ fixed price and got a 5 star feedback , (don't know recommendation score)

But after 15 days the evolation date i noticed that success score still 82% not updated.

After a while i have noticed that in my my jobs section i have another 2 active contract that i have ended many days ago probably 6 months or more.

Still 2 active contract waiting for submit work !!! besides, I am trying to end contract and getting error message somthing like " This feedback can no longer modified "

I think this 2 active contract without earnning affected my job success score or i can't understad whats going on with me .....

I am really feeling bad right now.

I already opended support ticket last 24 hours ago no response from upwork 😞

I need help, Please advice me how to fix this problem........

Thanks.

Hi Md,

I'm sorry to hear about the situation and wish your child a speedy recovery. Regarding the contracts that are showing as active, please note this is a known issue and our technical team is currently working on a fix. You can refer to this thread for updates.

Regarding your JSS, I'm afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Please know that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this help article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thanks.  How can i close this contract?  Its not affected my JSS? 

I am afraid. 

Hi Md N,

Thank you for your message. I checked and noticed that both contracts already ended back in 2020 and 2021. As confirmed by Luiggi, this is a known issue and our technical team is currently working on this issue. They will be taken off automatically from your contract page as soon as the issue is resolved.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
alekitguru
Community Member

My JSS first appeared a few months ago and it was 81%, although I have all 5-star reviews (3 at the time), however, I finished a good project for a client and he also left me a 5-star review which was the fourth 5-star review for me and after 2 weeks from that review, my JSS became 100%, which is awesome. Now, another 2 weeks go by, I haven't gotten any reviews at all, no new clients, I haven't completed any jobs, I even got bonuses for the ones I am currently working on, and, my JSS score dropped down to 86%. I am trying to understand why is this happening, I am afraid it will have negative effects on finding a new client.

Aleksandar,

I have just assumed that there might be at least one of your earlier good feedback score project with higher weight factor on JSS has gotten out from the JSS period window. 

Hey Md Nazmul Hasan D, thank you for taking the time to write something, I thought that also at first, but my first 3 jobs are low fixed price projects and then my last completed job is an hourly paid job which is also the biggest job I have completed so far. Not sure if I should contact UpWork support on this issue or just leave it be.

For JSS to be updated you do not need any new jobs nor do you need any contracts to close. If you did not close any contracts in the last two weeks, and still see a drop in JSS it means in the past 24 months you've had a few clients who left bad private feedback. The JSS that is being displayed is the best among the past 3,6,12 and 24 months JSS. This means there have been periods where you had worse JSS but within the calculation window, you had other JSS better than that so the best one was shown and is being shown. 

Since I joined the platform my JSS that is displayed never dropped below 91%, which was the lowest. I was worried and contacted support and they informed me that 91% was the best one and I had the worst JSS periods ...since then I always make sure my clients get more than what they have asked for and sooner than they expect to receive it...and within a month my JSS was back at 98%! 

Many freelancers find work with even lower JSS scores. You can recover. Public feedback, five stars and all, doesn't mean much of anything towards your JSS. It is all about private feedback that you never see. The public information may be glowing references, while the client is telling how they really feel in private. In addition, other metrics govern the JSS, including how much money is earned, how recently, and other factors we are not given.

Focus on getting new clients, and don't worry about your JSS. You can't change it immediately, but it might change in your favor as it updates every two weeks.

The time period on which your JSS is calculated has changed. Some better feedback fell out of the calculation window, and/or some worse feedback came into it.

avishekbhardwaj4
Community Member

hey recently client cancel the contract and i accpet the escrow request .. and the after that my jss drop to 1 %  93 to 92 .. is there new update regarding this against the cancellation of contract ... and second thing my red dot notification is not disappear the messaged is read  .. it is still there .. please help regarding this 

Cancelling a contract doesn't in itself affect your JSS. But the client can leave feedback on a cancelled contract nonetheless, and that can affect it. 

5b9344cf
Community Member

After latest update, my 'Job Success score" goes down from 100% to 98%.
I don't know why, Can I find the reason precisely?

Job Success score

98% Job Success

Hi Qian,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork
graphicavmx
Community Member

Hi Guys!

I need guidance. I maintained 100% JSS for 27 weeks. The eligible weeks for Top Rated were 13 out of 16. On August 07, 2022, Upwork updated the stats and I was sure I would get the Top Rated Badge. But I did not. And in the last update on August 21, 2022, My JSS dropped from 100% to 79%. I am confused. I have neither received any negative reviews nor delayed the work submission. Then all of a sudden, my JSS dropped down. Can anyone please guide me in this regard?

Looking forward to your kind response.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Saad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ AJ
Upwork
django_expert
Community Member

is there a bug? My jss is 85 on my stats page but it is 94% on my profile page. after update, it was 95 but now it is 94. what could be the reaon?

Hi Abubakar,

Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it's important to note that any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.
~ Joanne
Upwork
cddaf529
Community Member

Hi everyone, 
My name is Usama and I am market research analyst. I am working as market research analyst since 2016 on fiverr.com. I have joined upwork in November 2022, and got a great response from clients. I have completed 37 jobs, most of my jobs are done excellently and as per client needs. But my job success rate is not increasing, it is decreasing day by day. I don't know the reason and I am really worried about this issue. 

I have researched a lot and doinge exactly what upwork say still no progress. 
Anyone can please give me some tips how JSS works? and how can we improve this? 

Hello Usama,

I hope this brief explanation helps you:

!. The JSS takes into account factors such as client feedback.

2. Earnings history (when was your last project?)

3, If you completed the job on time of the deadline | earlier?

4. The length of time the freelancer has been on Upwork. November 2022.

5. The JSS score is calculated on a scale of 0 to 100 and is updated every two weeks.

6. A high Job Success Score indicates that the freelancer has achieved consistently positive results and is likely to deliver quality work to clients.

7. JSS score is important to both freelancers and clients as it serves as a useful tool in evaluating the proficiency and reliability of service providers on Upwork.

With all this said and if that still doesn't help you: Contact**Edited for community guidelines**

I hope somewhere in this note will be a ray of hope and direction for you. Have a good one.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members