Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason for JSS decrease

r_signal
Ace Contributor
Shahid H Member Since: Oct 31, 2019
11 of 521

I faced the same issue when one of my clients had a misunderstanding and gave poor private and public feedback, we had a dispute also, but after having a conversation, things were sorted out, he released the payments, the contract was started again BUT he was not able to change the private feedback, even he wanted to but he could not. I would Request UPWORK that sometimes things like this happen and UPWORK should create a room of clearing out misunderstandings and enable the client to change their private feedback as well at least once, just to avoid problems for freelancers. I was top-rated and the event I described affected my rating so I had to use the feedback removal perk despite the fact that the client was ready to change the private feedback!.

Kindly Consider this!

bonbons
Ace Contributor
Andrey S Member Since: Apr 14, 2018
12 of 521

You were very lucky, but some ppl like me who received public good and private bad kicked out from top rated and can not use top rated perks. As a result of dumb architecture. The best option and probably the only left is to find jobs elsewhere and  just leave that dump. I do not want work for food and maybe good reviews.  But as my last client here said "you are not a **bleep**ing code god to get 5 stars, only god can have 5 stars".

jahid_rana
Tuhin H Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
13 of 521

Hi Afia,

I can see that you have completed a few number of projects where some feedbacks are below 5 stars. Generally, if you get the public feedback less than 5 stars it means you get the private feedback lower. JSS count on both(private and public) feedback. 

Also dispute on contract can lead to lower your JSS.  Please check your "My States page"  https://www.upwork.com/my-stats/  to know how much your client recommended you. If your recomendation is poor your JSS is lower. 

As you have completed a few number of projects, you are on the way to increase your JSS soon if you can complete some projects with good feedback and if your clients recommend you.

I hope this helps. 

Best.

albertobonadonna
Alberto B Member Since: Nov 8, 2020
14 of 521

Hi! I just want to understand why my JSS dropped down to 69%. I didn't have 100% but it wasn't under 90%, so I just want to understand what happened.

I completed all the works successfully and got five stars. I also had good relationships with the last customers. Only my first feedback wasn't good, but it didn't invalidate my JSS rate that much.

Can anyone check and explain this?

Thank you!

A.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
15 of 521

Alberto B wrote:

Hi! I just want to understand why my JSS dropped down to 69%. I didn't have 100% but it wasn't under 90%, so I just want to understand what happened.

I completed all the works successfully and got five stars. I also had good relationships with the last customers. Only my first feedback wasn't good, but it didn't invalidate my JSS rate that much.

Can anyone check and explain this?

Thank you!

A.

It's your first contract. It can have impact on your JJS for 24 months. The good news is that you started several jobs in October. Try to get them closed with a good feedback and your 6 month window will be better.

longilongz
Tope L Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
16 of 521

I got an email that I've been temporarily removed from the Top Rated Program even though I currently still meet all the criteria to remain in the program which is (see the attached image);

- A Job Success score of 90% or higher
- 13 out of past 16 weeks with a Job Success score of 90% or higher or Rising Talent Status
- $1,000+ earnings in the past year
- 100% complete profile
- An up-to-date availability status
- No recent account holds

I've always had a 100% job success score (JSS) because I usually take on short term gigs, hence multiple projects/contract outcomes every other month.

I recently decided to work on long-term gigs in an attempt to earn the Top Rated Plus program (I'm almost at the $10,000 milestone. Earned exactly $9,016.65 from June 2020 to date on a current gig with a single client), then voila!, JSS score resets to "not yet available" because I obviously cannot get client feedback until the projects have ended and Upwork would not consider all my previous project/contract history older than 24 months.

Upwork is trying to encourage long-term gigs by pushing the top-rated plus program but obviously ignores your contract history older than 6-24 months. What this means if you are taking on at least 2 long-term gigs (6-months to 24 months) you may never achieve any JSS score because you would not have sufficient outcomes from at least 2 distinct clients and Upwork would never consider your previous project/contract history outside a 24 months window.

Shouldn't all my previous project/contract history accumulate to reflect my job success score? Why limit it to a specific time period for established freelancers who have already earned the top-rated badge in the first place.

Why would you suddenly change a "Top-Rated" freelancer with a 100% JSS for over 2 years and an active long-term paying contract to "Rising star"?

It's just totally demotivating. Is there anyone else experiencing this?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 521

Tope L wrote:

I currently still meet all the criteria to remain in the program which is (see the attached image);

- A Job Success score of 90% or higher

You don't have that.

Since the contract that closed on the 7th of November 2018 fell out of your 2 year window, you no longer have enough completed contracts in your 2 year window to calculate any JSS from.  No JSS = No possibility to be top rated.

longilongz
Tope L Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
18 of 521

That doesn't make the way the Job Success Score is calculated adequate.

Why encourage long-term contracts through the Top Rated Plus program when all a freelancer needs to do are quick and cheap one-off projects to achieve a good Job success score? It's just counter-productive.

What happened to all other excellent previous contract outcomes over 24 months by hardworking freelancers? 

divij_rakhra
Divij R Member Since: Aug 17, 2020
19 of 521

Hello all, 

My name is Divij. I started freelancing on upwork nearly two months ago. 

I got the rising talent badge and then 100% JSS. All my contracts have a 5 star feedback and 100% clients who'd recommend me. 

One week after closing my last contract and starting a new one with a new client, my JSS shows 92% for some reason. 

I have replied to all invitations, not kept any dead contracts, have met with all upwork standards but I don't understand what went wrong. 

I would appreciate any help. 

Thank you 

Divij

aderinto_ibrahim
Ibrahim A Member Since: Nov 14, 2020
20 of 521

My JS score got reduced after the introduction of the new algorithm which I didn't expect. I was at 86% before, with two contracts of no feedback but with the new algorithm which I expect to significantly boost my score, I got reduced to 78%. I'd like to know why.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS