cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reason for JSS decrease

zohaibsultan007
Ace Contributor

Good day!

I started to work on May 2020 and I got a success rate of 86% and now its 78% on 25 Oct-2020.

I don't understand & know the reason why my JSS rate decreasing. I am active in applying for a jobs. Last two weeks I am applying in many projects and no work i got. I waste my many connects.I actively using this website.

 

The issue is that maxium Upwork inform or tell us about the reason for JSS rate decreasing

 

Anyone can tell us how we will know the reason for JSS rate decreasing.

Can someone help me, and explain why this happens? I am really stressing about it. 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Zohaib S wrote:

My last question is how we will find in a written form on website about our JSS rate decreasing. 


Here

View solution in original post

1,736 REPLIES 1,736

There are no restrictions on your account. One small contract can't take your JSS from 100 to 94, that is mathematically impossible when you have 30 contracts and it's only maybe half a percent of your earnings. Don't stress about upgrading your account, that does not help in the search results in any way, it that is your expectation. 

Hi Martina,

Many thanks for your reply.

I agree with you! Logically, one small contract shouldn't have the power to knock down the JSS so badly. But, that was true in my case.

My JSS was lifted to 100% from 95% after closing the contract worth $1300 with a huge bonus payment and an extraordinary review. You'll get to know about the client's satisfaction level from his public review and ratings. But, my client's recommendation score was lifted by 1% only to 96% from 95%.

Sadly, both of my JSS and recommendations scores have fallen heavily after closing the contract worth $38.5.

I was in cloud 9 after achieving the 100% JSS again. I think I deserve it as most of my clients are very happy with the work delivered. There are 22 five-star ratings out of my 25 completed jobs. Rest of the three ratings were above 4.4.

I have always been a huge fan of Upwork. But, this calculation has broken my heart so badly. It's making me demotivated.

Ima Sultana I wrote:
Hi Martina,

Many thanks for your reply.

I agree with you! Logically, one small contract shouldn't have the power to knock down the JSS so badly. But, that was true in my case.

My JSS was lifted to 100% from 95% after closing the contract worth $1300 with a huge bonus payment and an extraordinary review. You'll get to know about the client's satisfaction level from his public review and ratings. But, my client's recommendation score was lifted by 1% only to 96% from 95%.

Sadly, both of my JSS and recommendations scores have fallen heavily after closing the contract worth $38.5.

I was in cloud 9 after achieving the 100% JSS again. I think I deserve it as most of my clients are very happy with the work delivered. There are 22 five-star ratings out of my 25 completed jobs. Rest of the three ratings were above 4.4.

I have always been a huge fan of Upwork. But, this calculation has broken my heart so badly. It's making me demotivated.

JSS and client recommendation are not updated at the same time, so you can never really know who left what private feedback. Public stars are not a big factor in the JSS calculation, private feedback is what counts. Again, this one small contract can't have the impact you think it has, it's not possible. 


Ima Sultana I wrote:
My JSS was lifted to 100% from 95% after closing the contract worth $1300 with a huge bonus payment and an extraordinary review. 

You getting back to 100% actually had NOTHING to do with the big contract you closed. It was simply due to the bad outcome falling out of the calculation window.

 


Ima Sultana I wrote:
 But, my client's recommendation score was lifted by 1% only to 96% from 95%.

That's because the "Clients who would recommend you" is a lifetime metric and not Dollar weighed and only updates every several contracts. The JSS is the best of 4 calculation windows.


Also, it is the nature of percentages that one poor outcome drops your JSS more than several positive ones lift it. That is just basic math.

 

Martina P wrote: Again, this one small contract can't have the impact you think it has, it's not possible. 

That is simply not true.

 

1. Whilst the JSS is Dollar-weighed, it's not "absolute". Yes, a large contract has more of an effect than a small one, but a $1000 contract doesn't have the same weight as 10 contracts with $100

2. She only has a grand total of 6 contracts in her 6 month window, so one contract absolutely CAN affect the JSS by as much as it has easily.

Uhhh you might want to rethink your "career" plans my friend. You are
about to find out how little Upwork cares about your situation. They will
*not* modify your JSS or really change anything about your profile. You
may be eligible to knock off a bad review (a one time perk some people may
qualify for) but otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Your analysis of how patently unfair the JSS scoring system is is spot-on.
In my mind, it simply punishes any longer term worker as 95% of all workers
will eventually (after 3 or 4) run into a bad client situation and that
client will probably ding you down and out of the coveted 90% JSS land, and
after that...good luck ever getting replies to your proposals.

I sent some 40 or 50 proposals and never once got a reply....other people
have varied results and it certainly helps if you are female with getting
hired with sub-90 JSS as far as what my experience here has shown me. Good
luck to you, sir.

*DISCLAIMER - in no way am i affiliated with Upwork or represent them.
This stuff is my opinion and mine alone. Please feel free to ignore parts
or all of what I say*
kauem
Active Member

Hello there,

 

My JSS is decreasing steadily and I can't figure out the issue. I only have good public feedbacks, my relationship with all my clients is great and I don't have any idle contract. During the last two weeks I closed three contracts succesfully, with 5 stars feedbacks. My JSS, on the other hand, dropped 2%. If it drops again in the next 15 days, I will lose my Top Rated badge. I know about private feedback, but all my clients showed high levels of satisfaction in the chat, so I can't even point out which contract gave me a bad private feedback to remove it. Besides, I don't think that only one bad review should result in a 9% drop in the last month. 
 
Does any one have any idea on how to proceed? Because I tried the "get good results in new contracts" approach and it is not working. If I'm going to lose the Top Rated badge, at least tell me what I did wrong.
 
Thank you,
Kaue
 
 

Kaue M wrote:

Hello there,

 

My JSS is decreasing steadily and I can't figure out the issue. I only have good public feedbacks, my relationship with all my clients is great and I don't have any idle contract. During the last two weeks I closed three contracts succesfully, with 5 stars feedbacks. My JSS, on the other hand, dropped 2%. If it drops again in the next 15 days, I will lose my Top Rated badge. I know about private feedback, but all my clients showed high levels of satisfaction in the chat, so I can't even point out which contract gave me a bad private feedback to remove it. Besides, I don't think that only one bad review should result in a 9% drop in the last month. 
 
Does any one have any idea on how to proceed? Because I tried the "get good results in new contracts" approach and it is not working. If I'm going to lose the Top Rated badge, at least tell me what I did wrong.
 
Thank you,
Kaue
 
 

Nobody can tell you what's going wrong since only you and/or your clients can know that. Your JSS isn't bad, it only takes each of your clients rating you only 9 out of 10, and you are there. Maybe it was only one really unhappy client who didn't care to explain what went wrong. But since you only have a few jobs so far, it is easier to increase your JSS again with more jobs. 

Thank you very much for your answer. I will do some detective work to see if I can figure it out. I have one more question. My JSS dropped as follows:

 

- 31 Oct: from 100% to 96%

- 14 Nov: from 96% to 93%

- 28 Nov: from 93% to 91%

 

After Oct 31, I closed six contracts. Can this happen with only one bad review from before Oct 31? Or this continuous decrease means that I also received bad reviews after Oct 31?

 

Thank you in advance,

Kaue

emilyanncruzjao
Active Member

I just completed 1 contract and still has 3 active contracts. May JSS was 100% originally and it suddenly became 88% 

yehiadesigns1
Active Member

Hello All

 

I am very depressed as my Job success rate is 86% with all my previous jobs had 5 stars rating and only 2 jobs without rating and 2 jobs in progress.

 

Also no way i got bad private feedback as i never end any contract till the customer is 100% satisfied and that's why all my previous rating was 5 stars only.

 

I tried to message the 2 customer with the no rating jobs but they are inactive.

 

I guess something is wrong and i need help please... thanks so much.

prova-ltd
Active Member

Hi there,
I have a problem which relates to the rating and my JSS. I was having a 94% rate on October 2021 as a result of two feedbacks (4.6 ,4.4 stars).During November, I completed 3 jobs with 5 stars rating and I found that my rate lowered to 89 % on November 28. I don't know why it keeps lowering despite not getting any bad reviews (I'm always having a 5 star rating and even the bad rates are barely lower than 4.5).This is truly bad and greatly affects my chances to be hired/Invited again. Could you please help me? Thanks

Hi Ahmed,

 

Please know that the Upwork system takes snapshots of your three-, six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. You might want to check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
2f76ffb4
Active Member
Hi, I am wondering why my Job success score is %60 when I completed 4 successful jobs with all 5 star and one 4.8 star review?

Hi Kayla,

 

Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. Because the information above isn’t included in a freelancer’s star rating, your JSS score may differ dramatically from your star rating. You can learn more about JSS here.

 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Untitled
I still don’t understand. I completed all my jobs successfully. Can my score have been reduced if a client sent a negative review to you provately? I’m just trying to figure out how this happened and how to fix it because I’m concerned how low my score is.

Hi Kayla, 

 

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. There are many factors that go into your Job Success Score calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how Job Success Score is calculated here.

I hope this helps you understand how your score is calculated. 


~ Avery
Upwork
traianb
Active Member

So I agree on a contract with this client that has a video and wants to add animated text over it.

He just sends me a bunch of text without reference or specific instructions of how he wants the text animated, so basically letting me decide how to specifically animate his text. 

 

No problem at all, I proceed to offer him a price for the project and a deadline, AND let him know that in this price point he has 2 free edits (free of charge, because I anticipate he might want some things changed because he did not provide clear instructions in the first place).

 

He agrees and divides the project into 2 milestones, first milestone being the initial edit (and around 60% of the money), and the second milestone being the 2 free edits I have offered him (and the rest of the 40% of the money).

 

Sent him the initial edit respecting the deadline that we agree upon, he approves the first milestone and releases the money, and he also gives me the first set of free edits he wants for the next milestone (this time with precise instructions).

 

I proceed and do all of the edits that he requested and send him the file in time just as we discussed. Than he disappears for a week, comes back after and says: "Sorry I forgot to answer, I'll keep it like that, thanks". He approves the second and final milestone (he still had 1 free edit available for use free of charge) and he closes the contract and rates my work with 4.8 stars writing "Good, thanks!" in the feedback.

 

After this I notice my JSS drop from 100% to 96%

Now this seems a little harsh and totally unfair to me. How can a 4.8 feedback on a contract that ended successfully (and by this I mean client payed all of the money and says he is happy with what he's got) lead to -4% on my JSS?????

 

I would like Upwork to review my case and send me their opinion on this. You have access to my conversation with this customer, please go and see the conversation with him, I have nothing to hide, everything looked 100% OK from both sides, and he did not use the final free of charge edit that was available to him in case he still did not like some aspects. Instead he decided to end the contract without telling me anything else besides "I'll keep it like that thanks".

 

Now, I am deeply sorry for not being able to read minds on bipolar clients (I don't want to be rude but go check it out he even posted a job where he hired a psychologist to help with his anxiety and stuff). Let me know where is my fault, and why am I being penalized because maybe client had a bad day (if we can call a 4.8 feedback a bad day that is).

 

Upwork, is 4.8 feedback something normal to lead to -4% JSS? Maybe he did give me a bad note in the private feedback that he has with you, I was thinking this as well,  but in this case please see my messages with him, I tried to do the best with him, where is my fault on that? It's 101% unfair what just happened.

 

So I want a clear answer from Upwork on this, so I can make a decision about my future with Upwork. Because, tell you honestly, it's off to a bad start. And I honestly think I did my best, as I try to do all the time!

 

Thank you,


Traian B wrote:

How can a 4.8 feedback on a contract that ended successfully (and by this I mean client payed all of the money and says he is happy with what he's got) lead to -4% on my JSS?????.


The private feedback was a tiny bit less than fully enthusiastic. You only have 3 completed contracts that count towards your JSS. So each can potentially have a HUGE impact. 4% is literally nothing and a 96% JSS is absolutely excellent.

 


Traian B wrote:

I would like Upwork to review my case and send me their opinion on this


Not going to happen. There is nothing to "review" - Upwork do not adjust someone's JSS. 

 

If it really, REALLY irritates you, you could use your top-rated perk to have the contract removed from your JSS calculation but you want to be careful just in case excluding it would lead to you losing your JSS altogether because you don't have enough outcomes in the last 24 months anymore. Personally, I would save the perk for when something goes really wrong and tanks you to 80%...

 


Traian B wrote:

so I can make a decision about my future with Upwork.


Isn't that somewhat extreme?

 

Hello Petra thank you for the information provided

 

Extreme is not my decision to continue with Upwork or not. But extreme is the system that you have in place. I'm sorry, but 4.8 out of 5 public feedback with 4 out of 5 private feedback resulting in a "negative" outcome, now that is extreme! I mean, what do all the other little poor stars such as star 1, 2 and 3 count for anyway? Just some other degrees of...."minus" ? So basically your system favors the minus outcome by at least 80%, with the remaining 20% in favor of "positive" outcome (yes, must be 5 stars out of 5 all the way).

Which leads me to my next question, What if the client is of bad intention, he tells me everything is ok in the conversations with him, but he ultimately and secretly decides to scr.w me on the private feedback. What is Upwork doing with this? Apparently I am being told it is doing nothing. 

 

And just for curiosity, can you let me know what happens if I decide to stop the subscription for the connects? Does that impact my JSS by an additional -3%? I feel like I've been paying around 17 dollars/month with no real benefit other than exposing me, out of my own money, to more of this customers that Upwork does nothing about.

 

Please don't take it personal, you are my interface I have with Upwork right now and I may be a little bit steaming (because in my head I have all the reasons for that).

 

Thank you Petra

I don't understand where your maths is coming from.

 

You've dropped 0.8 stars out of 20. That's 4%, which leaves you on 96%. It's just maths.

 

Your JSS isn't even calculated using the stars you see on your profile anyway (it's calculated using private feedback). But if you were to go by the stars on your profile (which you are trying to) 4% would be correct.

And 4% is not 'Extreme' in any way. Far from it.

Thank you for the answers Jamie

 

Your math is correct. But I was talking about odds here. Once you get to 100% JSS (and you definitely want that) than any less than 5 star feedback is a negative impact on your JSS. By 80% odds it is negative. You have only 20% odds of keeping your JSS that is if only you get 5 star feedback. Guess you have to make french fries for the customer to make him happy for 5 stars, cause if he just didn't like just one, one tiny bit of small thing and he decides to give 4 star, than it is a minus impact on your JSS. By how much, it largely depends on many factors, but it definitely is a minus.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS