cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

well

wordsinprint1
Dora P Member Since: Apr 7, 2014
1 of 7
HI, I'm new to oDesk and have just completed my first two jobs. Job 1: I submitted 4 days ago and the only response has been that the contract was ended. I know feedback won't appear for 2 weeks, but there has been no message of receipt, comments, or payment. No message of any sort and I worked hard, I think I did an excellent job, and submitted nearly a week before the deadline. It was a fixed price thing but the client seemed to have a good history on here and was legit according to Google. Job 2: I submitted yesterday and got a message thanking me, a new assignment, and payment, with bonus, this morning. What would be my next step for Job 1 and how long should I wait to do anything, without seeming needy or something? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
mandylula
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
2 of 7
Hi Dora The delay could be due to the Easter weekend. And don't worry about appearing "needy" the money is due to you 🙂
wordsinprint1
3 of 7
Ahhh, I hadn't thought about that. Thanks! I had decided to wait until tomorrow and try to contact the client.
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 7
With Job 2, congrads, but with job 1, I suggest you lodge a support ticket for non payment. Feedback wont show up at all if there was no payment, and if they ended the contract right after getting the deliverables and not paying, probably they are not planning to pay you at all, but still use your work. If possible, publish or otherwise do something with that work since it is yours, and always get an upfront with every contract, even if it is only 5%. This will let you give feedback in case things go wrong. Personally, I always ask for, and get 50% upfront before I start working, clients who dont want to pay up, can take their business somewhere elses, after you have a bit of a portfolio built up, this will work for you as well. On another note, I notice you have your self tagged as an Adult/Childrens writer... Kudos for being able to write in both niche, but it may be a bit off putting for clients to see that you write in the Adult Erotic Niche in the same sentance has you writing for Children. If you dont mean "Adult" in the erotic way, then I suggest that you choose another term since that is generally what it means in freelancing. Also, most people that work in the Adult niche tend to get stuck there on this platform, so just keep that in mind.
wordsinprint1
5 of 7
Ahhh, thanks, Heather H. I didn't even THINK of that! It does sound llke adult/erotic, doesn't it? And not true at all! Definitely will change! I'm going to try to contact the client in job 1 once in the morning and then follow what you said to do. Thanks!
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 7
Hi Dora. You seem to be highly qualified as a children's writer, especially considering the many years you spent working in education. Think about focusing on that in your profile. As a writer, you can earn more money by specializing in a particular area.
wordsinprint1
7 of 7
First of all, all is well, here. While I did not get an answer to my last 2 messages to Job 1, I DID get paid and got great feedback. I'm just chalking it up to ME not really being used to how things work here and her probably being really busy. So, I'm psyched. Marcia, thanks for the advice and I'm sure you are right about the focus thing. The problem is that, while I really enjoy writing for children, I also like variety. In fact, I loved my first assignment and it was not for children. The next 2 are and that's fine, but I hope to intersperse some general public writing in between the kid stuff. Thanks, all, for the replies!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS