Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Job Invitation, Was Asked To Write Unpaid Sample

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
11 of 15

Why are you investing more of your valuable time communicating with a scam artist who has already stolen  your work? Ignore or block the "client" and let Upwork deal with them. 

Also, read through all the posts in the New to Upwork section of the community so that you can learn to recognize the other common scams. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
12 of 15
  1.  Remove your family name from your last post.
  2. Inform the client that you own everything you have shared with him since he never paid for it. Find out more about the DMCA. You can still make money with the work selling to someone else and you can add it to your portfolio.
  3. Ignore any future communication with this client.

Do not communicate with clients once you flag them, they have the tendency to get nasty.

Highlighted
Hannah P Member Since: Jun 18, 2018
13 of 15

I answered the nasty-gram from the client as a way of continuing to document what happened for my own sake. I wish my time were valuable enough at the moment that I needn't have wasted it, haha! Fortunately, they didn't actually get the unpaid sample they wanted me to write. I sent them writing samples from an established blog, which is both within terms of service guidelines and also proveably mine. 

Also, Jennifer, I don't see any way to edit this feed. How can I remove my family name from that post? Can you direct me to how to do that? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 15
Hannah P wrote:

Also, Jennifer, I don't see any way to edit this feed. How can I remove my family name from that post? Can you direct me to how to do that?

Hannah, login to community if you've been logged out, then go to the post you want to edit, and click the 3 vertical dots at the top right, then click the Edit Reply link in the popup.

Incidentally, a savvy user can still retrieve your surname because it's part of your Upwork username, but at least that will take a bit of work.
Hannah P Member Since: Jun 18, 2018
15 of 15

Thanks, John. I guess I wasn't logged in when I clicked vertical ellipses symbol, which is why I didn't see the edit option. Live and learn!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS