🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Received a Request for an Interview in meet.g...
Page options
grey_sheryl
Community Member

Received a Request for an Interview in meet.google.com

I just received a request for an interview. The client asked for my email and emailed me a link for an interview. The link was meet.google.com/***** and then a string of numbers. The message said that I can either click on the link or call a phone number and put in a code number. What does this mean? Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sheryl, 

While I'm unable to confirm if this job is a scam, I would like to recommend to please be cautios  if you decide to continue your interview with this client. 

You may want to read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dzadza
Community Member

It means scam - don't call !!!
It's a known scam on upwork - they will try to make you buy stuff online for them and then send you a fake check.

I thought it sounded a bit strange too, but when I looked at this company's information, it says they have spent over $10,000 and hired 49 freelancers on Upwork. That makes me think it might be legitimate.

Sheryl:

Scammer profiles typically show ZERO dollars spent.

Not over $10,000!

For two reasons:

- Most scamers pride themselves on never paying any money to any freelancers

- Scammers get turned in by users and their Upwork accounts are terminated. So they're always having to create new fake accounts.

I don't know what the client is up to, but it doesn't sound like a scammer to me.

If you are interested, then proceed, but check in with us here, and we can help you avoid any problems.

Hi Sheryl, 

While I'm unable to confirm if this job is a scam, I would like to recommend to please be cautios  if you decide to continue your interview with this client. 

You may want to read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
lourdz_ortiz
Community Member

Hi, my first client also invited me for a discussion over google meet. Is this allowed?

re: "my first client also invited me for a discussion over google meet. Is this allowed?"

Maria: it is definitely allowed for a client to have a discussion with a freelancer using Google Meet or any other communications tool.

As long as the client has officially hired you, feel free to use any tool.

Before being officially hired, only use Upwork Messages. (That policy went into effect on June 26, 2020.)

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members