890828be

Received email about referral network within UpWork? Spam? Real?

Hello fellow UpWorkers,

I recieved an email an hour ago from someone on UpWork saying "Hi Andrew - It's *********, Hope all is well. I'd like to recommend clients to Upwork so I've added you to my referral network. Simply click the link below and we can start exchanging referrals. Thanks!" With a link attached. 

I have never spoken to this person to my knowledge so thats  another reason why it seemed strange.

My question is is this some sort of span? Or is this alegit thing that i should be excited about? I havent been able to find any information on the subjest so figured maybe oyu guys could help me out. 

Thanks everyone,

Andrew Robin

7 REPLIES 7
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

Can you please send me a screenshot of the email you received, along with the source email address in a private message, so I can check?

Untitled

hi, I have also the same problem. The guy sent me a message with a link, but I have doubts about. If you want I can be you make a screenshot of the email to verify. Thank you 

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saidali,

Please do, and send them to me in a private message by clicking on my name and again on the "Send Private Message" link on my Community page. 

Thank you.

Untitled

I got one as well and it showed in my message app. Dreaful recommendation and no way I'm wasing my connects on this type of recommendation.

Jean, I would really appreciate if you sent a screenshot of the message you received to me in a private message as well. We are trying to determine if it's the same,

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saidali,

Thanks for sending me the details. Your message is not the same as the one Andrew is referring to, but it is definitely a scam attempt.

Your client replied to your proposal, but the instructions they shared are a serious violation of our policy, Please report the client and the job post directly to Support and share the same screenshots you PM-ed me.

All payments have to be made through the Upwork platform, and you shouldn't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and this Help article.

Untitled

thank you very much