cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received refund request on phone, but cannot find when signed-in?

marimind
Ace Contributor
Marilyn M Member Since: Apr 20, 2019
11 of 20

Hi, yes. I tried clicking on every I could click on my desktop.

Thank you,

Marilyn

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 20

re: "This is so odd because my client left me 5 stars rating and great feedback..."

I see no reason to believe this is an actual refund request from an actual client.

So the last thing you should be thinking of is trying to send a former client refund money.

Even if the client clicked a button somewhere that generated this message, it was probably just random/curious button-clicking.

The possibility of this being a phishing attempt is the more worrisome possibility.

In either case, I would not personally send a message to a client asking them about it. No reason to confuse a former (and possible future) client unnecessarily about something that like this.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 20

Marilyn M wrote:

Hi.

Wow, I hardly ever ask you experts for help and recently did twice, sorry. This is an odd one. I received an email from UpWork on my phone that one of my clients from June, a while ago, is asking for a $17.50 refund. So I came to my desktop and signed-in and cannot find anything in my messages about this. Nothing in my messages, nothing in my Contracts tab, nothing in my Jobs tab...there is nothing mentioned anywhere that I could find. If there is, indeed, a refund request, can someone point me in the right direction? I am wondering if this refund request is a SPAM, since I can't find it anywhere? I scary thing is that I clicked on the UpWork link so if a SPAM, someone has my sign-in information.

Thanks,

Marilyn

Report it. I have also flagged your post so that a mod can help you. IMO it was definitely not Upwork, and it wasn't spam but a scam. 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
14 of 20

Nichola L wrote:

Report it. I have also flagged your post so that a mod can help you. IMO it was definitely not Upwork, and it wasn't spam but a scam. 

I am with Nichola, doesn't sound legit to me.  

Is there a link on there to respond back or anything?

View solution in original post

marimind
Ace Contributor
15 of 20

Yes and link, and I signed in with all my credentials, including username. Goodness. 

hoyle_editing
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
16 of 20

the email "donotreply@upwork.com" that she has confirmed it is sent from (assuming that cant be masked?) is the same as upwork notifications i have had pertaining to things such as milestones awarded etc.

marimind
Ace Contributor
17 of 20

Okay, my client just checked on her end and she made a mistake and short-payed me and still owes me $17.90. The odd thing is that she owes me that and yet I get an email from UpWork that I need to pay her. This is just getting so confusing, but she is now handling.

Thank you all so very much, you are all amazing!!!! Thank you and glad it's not a scam.

Marilyn

marimind
Ace Contributor
18 of 20

Thank you, you can now "unflag" the post because the client just told me she made a mistake and underpaid me. She is taking care of everything on her end. Odd thing is if she owes me money, why I got an email saying I have to pay her. Nevertheless, I feel better now that this is not a scam. Whew!

Thanks so much.

Marilyn

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 20

Hi Marilyn,

I checked and confirmed that the email you received isn't spam or phishing attempt. It's a notification sent when a client closes a fixed-price contract with money in Escrow and requests for the escrowed funds to be refunded. You can see that request in your contract room:

Screenshot_1.png

It sounds like the client didn't mean to request a refund from Escrow when closing the contract and has already issued a bonus for the same amount. Please, confirm with them if that's what the bonus is for and if so, you can approve the refund request. Then the money in Escrow will return to the client and the bonus will cover it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
marimind
Ace Contributor
20 of 20

Valeria,

Wow, 

1. Thank you so much for looking in on this indepth

2. Thank you for the detailed explanation & easy to follow action plan for me to execute

3. Thank you for the opportunity for me to send the extra money back to the client.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

Marilyn

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS