cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving "Invitation to Interview" on my private email

melheiselt
Melissa H Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
1 of 8

Since I've started with Upworks I've been the recipient of numerous "invitations to interview" at my private email address. It seems pretty spammy as they are all nearly identical text trying to arrange a meeting on Google Hangouts, though the company itself seems legitimate: **edited for Community Guidelines**

The emails come with the senders' email address listed as "donotreply@upworks.com... which seems authentic... but when I go to my Upworks account, there is no message, no job offer, nothing. How do I know if this is a legitimate invitation to interview?

My gut says it's spam, but I don't want to be rejecting actual work out of ignorance. Shouldn't all correspondence be coming through Upworks? Or is this normal? What's with the upworks.com address, then?

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
2 of 8

I get an email about most of my invitations from Upwork. I don't recall the email address. But the invitation is also in my Upwork account when I click on "Find Jobs." Are your invitations showing up in your Upwork account? If not, my guess is these invitations are scams. Actually, I suspect they are scams even if they are going through Upwork. I haven't heard of legitimate clients inviting freelancers to "interview" through Google Hangouts. It is possible, but I would be careful since Google Hangouts are a favorite among scammers for some reason.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 8

Hi Melissa, 

The emails from donotreply@upwork.com are legitimate. Could you share with me via a private message the screen grab of the email you are receiving so that I can double-check? 

I'd like to also invite you to read up on the Safety Section of this thread to help you identify red flags on job posts and interviews. 

~ Avery
Upwork
datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 8

Here is where an editorial attention to detail is crucial:

It's Upwork.

Upwork.PNG

It's not Upworks. 

If you're receiving an invitation from donotreply@upworks.com, then yes, be suspicious. 

Also, as Samantha stated, invites should show up in your proposals section. You'll also receive a little orange orb notification on the bell icon located on the upper right-hand corner of your dashboard:

Bell.PNG

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

Chances are those are invites to scam jobs and by the time you get them and log into your Upwork account they've already been removed from the platform, which means you don't see them as active invites to interview anymore.

You can check if that is the case by going to your archived proposals - they would be there with "declined by you" against them, and when you click on them it would say "inappropriate job posting"

subina29
Subina B Member Since: Sep 11, 2017
6 of 8

Hello,

I got a request for meeting on Google hangout with a person who says he's the hiring manager of an organization. I also find the request in the upwork notifications in my account. But I don't find any such person on Linkedin under that company's profile. I also checked with the company (I called up their office) to determine the existence of such a person which they clearly denied. The mail came from donotreply@upwork.com. I am confused what should I do. I am new to upwork and if this be a legit request then would not want to miss it. Please help.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "I got a request for meeting on Google hangout"

It is a scam. Do not spend ANY time communicating with those people.

All invitations that mention Google Hangouts are scams.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Subina,

I can confirm that actions have already been taken against the job you are referring to since it was in violation of Upwork ToS. You'll notice that the interview has already been archived. Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS