🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Recent increase in Fake Job posting
Page options
er_hary
Community Member

Recent increase in Fake Job posting

Hello Everyone
I just noticed in last 1 month there is a sudden rise in fake job postings on the Upwork,
when someone applied for the job, client just sent the link to check and massage name and country to proceed,
then I decided to go in a deep to check what exactly they are benefited from these types of posts.
these type of clients make you login into some crypto trading platforms with their reference code, once you login with their reference code they get some referral money in their accounts.
I strongly appeal to the upwork to make these types of jobs BAN, as we are losing our valuable time and connects due to these

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

7 REPLIES 7
martina_plaschka
Community Member

It was much worse a few months ago, I received 6-7 invitations (!) from scammers daily. 

That has stopped, and I've actually noticed a huge decline in fake job posts, but this is, like your opinion, purely anecdotal. 

In any case, adhering to the ToS will always keep you safe, and you get your connects back when upwork deletes the job post. 

thanks Martina

759e32fa

Hi Harjeet,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback and concerns. Martina is correct, you get your Connects back if Upwork removed a job post due to violating our Terms of Service. Please know that our teams are working to address the situation around scam and spam jobs, including higher than usual volumes of scam posts, constantly changing methods of scam accounts, and gaps in user education around Upwork TOS and safety. Additionally, I assure you that we'll continue sharing users' feedback with the team and providing updates to the Community about team's initiatives. Feel free to check an update in this post for more information about the team's efforts around addressing these issues.

~ AJ
Upwork
er_hary
Community Member

Thanks Annnie Jane

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Harjeet S wrote:

these type of clients make you login into some crypto trading platforms with their reference code, once you login with their reference code they get some referral money in their accounts.

How did the client "make" you do that?

renata101
Community Member

Harjeet S wrote:

I strongly appeal to the upwork to make these types of jobs BAN, as we are losing our valuable time and connects due to these

Hi Harjeet,

The rise in scam posts isn't a new thing, but the one you described is different than most of the ones people have been recently complaining about. Mostly, I think they're targeting people who are new to the platform and don't know that it's a violation of the Terms of Service to communicate with clients on outside channels before you have a contract in place. 

Wes put together a post on red flags for scams. I'm not sure if anything like that is included. You might want to post about the one you mentioned on his thread.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thank you for telling everyone about this new type of scam.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members