🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Recently Stuck on being unhirable
Page options
eucliwood22
Community Member

Recently Stuck on being unhirable

Im trying to figure out what to do here. To quickly explain my situation here is a short snippet i made to share with you why i think im in a stagnant situation and finding ways to still get hire here in upwork.

1. I am familiar of the hardship to be hire by client. before starting my way to earn here in upwork i also did my part on learning what i can in writing proposal, bidding, upwork 101 and buying 200 connects that ended up in zero hire.

2. after earning 1k + i notice that it's getting harder and harder to land a client than when i first started. I even get invites then but now 0.

3. done anything i can and planning to do more in fixing my profile. Followed and learned everything i can but even so. still 0

but after all this, why am i still stuck in an unhireable after all the connects i wasted? imagine, 200 connects and now climbing up to 280. but still no hire?

My profile is not good? Contract reviews not okay? should i waste 500 connects or more?

am i missing something? 

I hope someone can help me on this. your experiences are very much welcome here. Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Avel U wrote:

am i missing something? 

1. Your JSS is 77%, so you need to figure out why so many of your clients are unhappy, and do better.

2. You position yourself as a "jack of all trades" instead of an expert at anything. You should at least take out the part where you offer social media posts and content writing, or claim that you can spot typos and grammatical mistakes, because your writing isn't strong enough.

3. Your whole overview needs work. It's too long and contains loads of irrelevant and even negative information about yourself. Why would you say things like, "I have a very hermit-style social life" or "I am not a flexible employee"? Those aren't selling points! You write about yourself in both first person and third person point of view - change it to first person, or at least pick one or the other. And what does this sentence mean? "Do you have a menial blue-collar job? Don't worry I got it. With 4+ years of experience, I think I got it." Don't call anybody's job "menial", and what does "blue collar" have to do with your services? What have you "got"? There are numerous mistakes as well; you don't need to write in perfect English, but you should aim to keep things simpler. Focus on what you can do for clients and leave out all that stuff about yourself.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Member

The invites element may be related to the rotation in the Upwork algorithm for the Search Talent function. Basically, because of how many freelancers there are, the algorithm auto-rotates freelancers throughout the pages. And, from what others have said, as well as my own limited experience, it is not good at matching profiles with the correct keywords. You won't find any published information on this, but there have been some references to this function in posts by moderators.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Avel U wrote:

am i missing something? 

1. Your JSS is 77%, so you need to figure out why so many of your clients are unhappy, and do better.

2. You position yourself as a "jack of all trades" instead of an expert at anything. You should at least take out the part where you offer social media posts and content writing, or claim that you can spot typos and grammatical mistakes, because your writing isn't strong enough.

3. Your whole overview needs work. It's too long and contains loads of irrelevant and even negative information about yourself. Why would you say things like, "I have a very hermit-style social life" or "I am not a flexible employee"? Those aren't selling points! You write about yourself in both first person and third person point of view - change it to first person, or at least pick one or the other. And what does this sentence mean? "Do you have a menial blue-collar job? Don't worry I got it. With 4+ years of experience, I think I got it." Don't call anybody's job "menial", and what does "blue collar" have to do with your services? What have you "got"? There are numerous mistakes as well; you don't need to write in perfect English, but you should aim to keep things simpler. Focus on what you can do for clients and leave out all that stuff about yourself.

Hi Christine, Thanks to you I have notice some parts of my profile that needs fixing. I have taking your advice and there is nothing more to do but hope for the best. Cheers!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Followed and learned everything

You only took two of the six learning paths. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members