🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Recently invited...
Page options
atlinguist
Community Member

Recently invited...

Dear Upwork Moderators,

While checking my profile recently (by which I actually mean recently, namely today), I noticed a flame icon with the accompanying text "Likely to be hired soon. Recently invited 32 times". 

What is that supposed to mean?! I have not been invited 32 times over the last couple of days! Or does "recently" refer to a couple of months? 

Is there a way to switch this algorithm feature off or remove it from the profile page? I really don't think it will recommend me to potential clients! (More likely they'll think I'm too busy refusing or completing other projects. In any case, being invited is no recommendation, given that it's a simple "invite all X" button clients click when posting their job.)

Thanks.

54 REPLIES 54

Why do I get the feeling that Upwork's "appreciation" of our feedback does not extend to actually listening to or seriously considering it? Any number of questions have been raised here that should properly go into evaluating their test results and guiding the design of future tests—to which I will add limiting tests to a select group of willing recruits. But no. That's not The Upwork Way.

Thanks Petra.

Well, for me is Christmas Time! Smiley Mad

tlbp
Community Member

Alexandra H wrote:

Ah, okay. Thanks, Martina. You see, I left the Community Forum a while ago and only reconnected today, so I wasn't aware of that. I know that you're supposed to keep checking the forum, but my posts tend to get removed by the algorithm -- and I refuse to be bossed about by a machine. 

I think nearly every profile has the flames now. 

petra_r
Community Member

Alexandra H wrote:

Or does "recently" refer to a couple of months? 

Their idea of "recently" is over the past 90 days...

Sanja D wrote:
on a serious note...I'm really shocked by the lack of response from Upwork regarding this issue...

Well, they did answer, but you know the kind of answer we usually receive. Here is the original post by Petra and the response from Avery on page 5:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Anyone-else-noticed-those-quot-likely-to-get-hired-soon...

That thread was left behind. It shouldn't. I thought they had dismissed the kindergarten idea, but it seems they haven't.

It's now August.  In May, we were told it was a test.  I have never seen a single word praising this idea but still it lingers - sorta like smelly cigar smoke.

re: "I'm really shocked by the lack of response from Upwork regarding this issue..."

I think of this as the Community Forum, as a place which is primarily for Upwork users to converse.

So I really never feel like Upwork employees are obligated to respond to anything here. I think they often intervene in helpful and informative ways. If they don't respond to or comment on something? It's fine.

Upwork has tons of Help pages with information.

It makes official announcements.

I actually think we're quite spoiled, compared to how much interaction you would have with employees at many other companies.

Preston H wrote:

I actually think we're quite spoiled, compared to how much interaction you would have with employees at many other companies.

"Spoilt?" - "Employee???" Seriously? You are free to continue feeling "spoilt" and carry on with the "employee mindset" - fact remains that we are not employees and our profiles have a direct impact on clients' hiring decisions.

Having "Recently invited dozens of times" gives clients the idea that someone is either too busy to bother with their project or too picky to waste an invite on (Now they only have 3, mostly.)

mtngigi
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

"Spoilt?" - "Employee???" Seriously? You are free to continue feeling "spoilt" and carry on with the "employee mindset" - fact remains that we are not employees and our profiles have a direct impact on clients' hiring decisions.

Having "Recently invited dozens of times" gives clients the idea that someone is either too busy to bother with their project or too picky to waste an invite on (Now they only have 3, mostly.)

Or ... they might possibly think potential clients were left wanting after inviting us ... especially if we're not currently showing any active or recent jobs.

jessicasimko
Community Member

Ok so I get a lot of invites on here and for that I am grateful. But I do NOT want this advertised on my profile (see attached). It's not accurate to say "likely to be hired soon" as I do short term jobs and MORE than one at a time and have been hired as recent as this week. This badge may make people believe I have been invited 286 times and NO ONE hired me and am only "likely" to be hired soon - which isn't true - or that people won't bother to invite me because I have so many invites and theirs will get lost. "Recently invited" is over a period 90 days (I think) but no one knows that either.  Do I have an option to remove this?

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 10.38.47 AM.png

Jessica S wrote:

Do I have an option to remove this?

Great isn't it ..... no option to remove it.

Be grateful you haven't got the weeping star or the little toy rocket.

Have you noticed how beautifully it is located in a unit with "Flag as inappropriate?"

There are other symbols on these? I have only seen mine and noticed it for the first time today. I don't think it helps at all. If I was looking for a freelancer, I would not bother with a person who has that many invites. 

I wish i could flag the banner as inapproriate. It's not accurate in its wording as it leads people to believe the person has not been hired yet.  

Jessica S wrote:

There are other symbols on these? I have only seen mine and noticed it for the first time today. I don't think it helps at all. If I was looking for a freelancer, I would not bother with a person who has that many invites. 

I wish i could flag the banner as inapproriate. It's not accurate in its wording as it leads people to believe the person has not been hired yet.  

yes - I had this one...very professional looking...

rocket.jpg

Jessica S wrote:

Ok so I get a lot of invites on here and for that I am grateful. But I do NOT want this advertised on my profile (see attached). It's not accurate to say "likely to be hired soon" as I do short term jobs and MORE than one at a time and have been hired as recent as this week. This badge may make people believe I have been invited 286 times and NO ONE hired me and am only "likely" to be hired soon - which isn't true - or that people won't bother to invite me because I have so many invites and theirs will get lost. "Recently invited" is over a period 90 days (I think) but no one knows that either.  Do I have an option to remove this?

Here's brick wall ... with instructions:

1) Face brick wall.

2) Start screaming (after asking nicely) at brick wall to see if it will move.

3) If it doesn't move, go ahead and bang your head against it.

Brick WallBrick Wall

Number 3 comes closest to what it's like asking Upwork to please stop.

kfarnell
Community Member

Avery said in the other thread that it was being tested to see if it "helps boost client engagement and results in more opportunities for freelancers like you".  She didn't mention where they wanted those clients to be engaged. 

If this is a deliberate attempt to ensure that certain freelancers start to receive fewer invitations, Upwork is doing a sterling job.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members